sharetrader
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: New Forum Rules

Have you ever tried to get a committee to write a letter?
    It doesn't work. Someone has to prepare a draft that others can modify until an agreed solution is reached.

I think Vince is going about this project the wrong way. Here's what should happen IMO:
    1 Vince publishes a draft set of rules (he must have some already that are used to ban or unban posters)
    2 The draft rules to include the punishments for transgressions so everyone knows what to expect when they cross the line.
    3 Members get the opportunity to comment on any of the proposed rules and penalties they don't like or wish to change.
    4 Vince reviews the comments and publishes a final revised set of rules and penalties.
    5 We then all know what is allowed and what is not.
    6 The rules are applied by STMOD without fear or favour.

Easy!

Banned

No comments. I have excused myself from this site UNTIL ROGER returns!!!!
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New year everyone.

The approachable Admin Guy

Quote Originally Posted by gv1 View Post
    No comments. I have excused myself from this site UNTIL ROGER returns!!!!
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New year everyone.
    And for that comment you're permanently gone... won't tolerate this from a small group of trouble makers anymore.

Vince

Thumbs down Really?!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    And for that comment you're permanently gone... won't tolerate this from a small group of trouble makers anymore.

Vince
    This right here is EXACTLY what I don't want to see. Rule #1 - don't overreact to harmless posts. A ban should be for serious offences only.

I lean heavily towards winner's comments on minor moderation for only the most serious of things, letting posters handle things themselves. There is great risk in banning people, especially more active members.

I also agree with pierre in that a draft list probably needs to be proposed first before big progress will be made, but perhaps this thread will serve to help generate the initial draft.

The approachable Admin Guy

Default Yes really!...

Quote Originally Posted by Meister View Post
    This right here is EXACTLY what I don't want to see. Rule #1 - don't overreact to harmless posts. A ban should be for serious offences only.

I lean heavily towards winner's comments on minor moderation for only the most serious of things, letting posters handle things themselves. There is great risk in banning people, especially more active members.

I also agree with pierre in that a draft list probably needs to be proposed first before big progress will be made, but perhaps this thread will serve to help generate the initial draft.
    Yes really! What you haven't seen is the hatred spread through emails to other members encouraging them to influence others and make stupid posts all generated by a small group who think they rule the forum.

It's only a small group which are ruining it for others and quite honestly I may even post these emails so you can see who they are and what has been said, - think you'll change you opinion fast after that!

BTW - you're spot-on with your last paragraph.

Vince

Super Investor

Could be a consequence of world sharemarkets tracking sideways. Things are not very exciting atm and posters have nothing better to do. KW warned of the dangers when markets tracked sideways. Check the asx postings maybe 1 or 2 per day.
    I'm sure this will pass and all will be forgiven and forgotten.
    Cheers
    h2

Re Vince's reply, to Meister well that helps clarifies a few things, as we do not see what goes on behind the scenes. and some obviously did not think anyone else would see either!

Secondly, this thread and a couple of others - Site slow to load and Views on the Moderation.. don't show up in my "New Posts" when clicked on, any ideas why?

S
    Quote Originally Posted by nextbigthing View Post
    My opinion - No moderation other than deleting anything illegal or racist, sexist etc. Otherwise, free for all. If someone repeatedly posts like an idiot then hit the ignore button. If two grown men want to act like schoolgirls having a bunfight online then let them make fools of themselves, we can simply skip past it or enjoy it with some popcorn if you're that way inclined.

Only exception, one day bans max for someone who clearly needs a cool down, like that time the Moose got drunk and started abusing a CEO

And previously banned posters back and encourage those who have chosen to leave to come back (via email).

Just my opinion.
    Totally agree with this, surely we are all adults here, who can pick and choose which posts, posters and threads interest us and simply scroll past the rest, or put the poster on ignore.
    Don't we have enough "rules" in our lives without having to worry about being banned from an online forum for upsetting someone.

Quote Originally Posted by QOH View Post
    S

Totally agree with this, surely we are all adults here, who can pick and choose which posts, posters and threads interest us and simply scroll past the rest, or put the poster on ignore.
    Don't we have enough "rules" in our lives without having to worry about being banned from an online forum for upsetting someone.
    Agree with this also

[ originally posted by QOH "Totally agree with this, surely we are all adults here, who can pick and choose which posts, posters and threads interest us and simply scroll past the rest, or put the poster on ignore.Don't we have enough "rules" in our lives without having to worry about being banned from an online forum for upsetting someone. QUOTE]"

The reality is that some posters are not posting like adults but abusing the anonymity that this site provides. It seems to me that if posters adopted the guideline of whether they would be prepared to put their name to their post we would have less abuse ramping down ramping and trivial nonsense on the whole site. It strikes me also a good disciplinary action would be to require an irritant member to have the option of withdrawing or having his/her name released.
    Last edited by 1leon; 18-12-2015 at 10:26 PM. Reason: to clearly distiquish the quote