sharetrader
Page 75 of 87 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast

From what I read, these measures end up costing the borrower more over the life of the loan so not exactly bad news for the lenders?

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatestben View Post
    From what I read, these measures end up costing the borrower more over the life of the loan so not exactly bad news for the lenders?
    Extending the length of the loan naturally means that more interest is paid over the longer period. All parties will be hoping that this also improves the prospects for eventual repayment.

Looks like ANZ will pay a dividend in today's announcement

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Lion_graf View Post
    Looks like ANZ will pay a dividend in today's announcement
    The dividend was announced a few weeks ago. Today's announcement advises the DRP price and the exchange rate to NZD. Payment date of 30 September is unchanged.

Just curious if anyone knows, as sure as the sun rises each day, everyday at midday (when the ASX opens in Oz), trades suddenly appear in market depth, 400 shares in each parcel, one trader, and both the sell and buy sides. Eg. sell side 19.20, 19.21, 19.22 etc, all one seller with 400 shares. Likewise on the buy side 19.19, 19.18, 19.17 etc. Whats the purpose of this, I assume its a bot, but where is the profit in trying to influence the price each side? Potentially buying and selling from itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregnz View Post
    Just curious if anyone knows, as sure as the sun rises each day, everyday at midday (when the ASX opens in Oz), trades suddenly appear in market depth, 400 shares in each parcel, one trader, and both the sell and buy sides. Eg. sell side 19.20, 19.21, 19.22 etc, all one seller with 400 shares. Likewise on the buy side 19.19, 19.18, 19.17 etc. Whats the purpose of this, I assume its a bot, but where is the profit in trying to influence the price each side? Potentially buying and selling from itself?
    Just the normal opening auction. As far as I know - all stock exchanges are doing this for opening and closing - helps to avoid funny spikes at the start and end of trading. While bots are these days involved as well - this tradition ways predates the invention of trading bots (and does not need them).

https://rivkin.com.au/resources/unde...sing-auctions/
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Great, thanks. I'm just not sure with ANZ if its something just related to opening and closing action. Its happening with ANZ at all times of the day, but only appears once the ASX opens, and also appears on the NZX from midday. Its clear its a bot trying to drive the price up or down, I just cant get my head around what it actually achieves as I imagine it ends up gobbling up its own shares during the process. For ANZ its often the only trader trading, as all parcels are 400 shares.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregnz View Post
    Great, thanks. I'm just not sure with ANZ if its something just related to opening and closing action. Its happening with ANZ at all times of the day, but only appears once the ASX opens, and also appears on the NZX from midday. Its clear its a bot trying to drive the price up or down, I just cant get my head around what it actually achieves as I imagine it ends up gobbling up its own shares during the process. For ANZ its often the only trader trading, as all parcels are 400 shares.
    Not sure - 400 ANZ shares are not an unreasonable parcel size ... not quite what most bots would trade (remember - bots don't pay a minimum fee per trade ...).

As well - selling to oneself would be blatant market manipulation and illegal. While things like that might happen from time to time, I would not assume that as the default explanation.

As well - if anybody would want to manipulate share prices - this clearly would be easier with a less liquid stock.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 14-09-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Is the 'happy time' returning to banking? Australia unwinds it's onerous regulation.
    Last edited by Tomtom; 25-09-2020 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtom View Post
    Is the 'happy time' returning to banking? Australia unwinds it's onerous regulation.
    Thanks for that
    Aussie retail banks doing well today but I wouldn't say its happy times
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....