74 56.49%
  • Goff is just an idiot

2,147,483,658 100.00%
  • Epic fail for Labour

1,935 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 87 of 101 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I had some interaction with James Shaw and consider him as highly intelligent and economically ept.
    I dont believe ept is actually a word , even if inept is a word , and the best definition of the acronym EPT on the internet was 'excess profits tax' so thats what you meant right? coz it fits in well !
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Actually it is labour that does the work to produce the goods or services, while the capitalist does not need to do any work.
    Profits from capital invested don’t need to involve work, so labour should get most of the income because they do the actual work while the capitalist sits on the couch. But that is not how it works because capitalism is based on exploitation due to the imbalance of power between capital and labour.
    But it is like the myth of the self-made man. Does he grow and cook his own food? He uses the resources of society like roads, electricity, buildings, knowledge, and other people, including his customers.
    He is successful because he uses the “common wealth” of society which has been built up by others including previous generations.
    Maybe think a bit harder before making a statement such as this

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    I dont believe ept is actually a word , even if inept is a word , and the best definition of the acronym EPT on the internet was 'excess profits tax' so thats what you meant right? coz it fits in well !
    True, not all backforms of words exist. Online American dictionaries may not have all defintions. However"ept" has an entry in my SOE (New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary) with the meaning of adroit, competent, appropriate, effective.

What do they say...a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing (Edit - I mean that in relation to the online dictionaries!)
    Last edited by Bjauck; 22-10-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    The opposite of inept is adept.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by arekaywhy View Post
    Maybe think a bit harder before making a statement such as this
    You are asking the impossible.

Banned

Whilst I don't like the idea of a capital gains tax, as I just don't want any more taxes...I do think that a flat income tax and flat capital gains tax, applied to all capital gains, no exemptions, will level the playing field. This must still leave room for a minimum amount of income that is not taxed at all, so that those starting out in life can get the basics sorted for themselves, rather than relying on nanny state to look after them

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    The opposite of inept is adept.
    "Ept" is a perfectly valid word (see my post above) and was used appropriately by BP in conveying his meaning.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    "Ept" is a perfectly valid word (see my post above) and was used appropriately by BP in conveying his meaning.
    Precisely why I didn't say it wasn't. However it is not universally excepted. In my scrabble playing days it was not a permitted word.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Precisely why I didn't say it wasn't. However it is not universally excepted. In my scrabble playing days it was not a permitted word.
    I would say that its meaning is understood even if "adept" is the preferred antonym to "inept". Who does not accept the word "ept"?

As a matter of interest Did you allow dialect words or American spellings for scrabble?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 22-10-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I would say that its meaning is understood even if "adept" is the preferred antonym to "inept". Who does not accept the word "ept"?

As a matter of interest Did you allow dialect words or American spellings for scrabble?
    I have just checked the official scrabble dictionary 'scrabblewordfinder.org' , and surprisingly it's still not there. I'm not sure how 'official' the online one is - I'd never seen or used it before. I used to have the official one that listed all words that were acceptable, English or American, a compilation from all dictionaries - and I'm sure it wasn't in there - but that's going back a while. But yes, it doesn't take much to realise what is meant - so I would not argue that it is not a legitimate word; just that it is not universally accepted.