sharetrader
Page 104 of 115 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1142

Thread: Hi Ho "SILVER"

Time to go shopping again (with silver well out of favour) anyone come across any great Silver bullion deals of late ? looking to buy another 500oz .....one of the oldest investments going ....good old physical precious metal ...you know the stuff that goes in most of our latest tech gizmo's

esp when I'm watching CNBC and we have a moronic analyst talking up deregulation tax cuts to spur US economic growth ...and normalized rates >> sounds all very 2006-2007 IMHO

"There are 6.5+ Billion people in the world and about a 800 million ounces of silver bullion currently above ground. That is .12 ounces of silver per person if every ounce was evenly distributed around the world. But we know that it is not evenly distributed. Think about you local millionaire could easily buy a ton of silver($800-850,000NZD ). Based off of that, only 25,000 people in the word could ever own exactly 1 ton of silver. Yet there are 10 million millionaires in the world and growing >>>>>
    Last edited by JBmurc; 19-05-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Hi JB, like you I am biased in favour of precious metals and favourably disposed to base metals, but your statistics about the number of people in the world and the amount of silver above the ground remind me of the plan by the Hunt brothers in 1980 to get control of the world's silver resources. Their plan came to nothing but I can see your point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    Hi JB, like you I am biased in favor of precious metals and favourably disposed to base metals, but your statistics about the number of people in the world and the amount of silver above the ground remind me of the plan by the Hunt brothers in 1980 to get control of the world's silver resources. Their plan came to nothing but I can see your point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday
    Yes of course unlikely we will see another Hunt bros scenario ....but more so... much more capital looking to diverse into other avenues(like Gold silver bullion) when other areas are crashing from record highs(F/A & T/A are pointing to just that )...

When you have people paying obscene amounts for Art works ...paintings (like the one I seen on the News for $160mill NZD etc)
    ....bitcoin's market value going up 4 billion in a week !! (total Mktcap- $31.9billion) the list is long on bubble's guess all that low cost easy money has to go somewhere ...just look here in NZ Property BUBBLE TOP if there ever was ...

Silver is certainly well out of favour currently in a 6 year Bear market >> and really is the biggest negative I see in Holding the metal ..

But on the positive side ----

you look at Silver with has so many applications and used in such small quantities, in proportion to the finished product, that it is not recycled except in photography...which is dropping like a stone >>>>add in the fact over the last 64yrs the world has consumed more silver than it has produced....

Then look on the CFTC numbers on short position's Vs days of production and Silver is top of the list ....the paper silver market is really in control of the price and miners like the biggest Silver producers are marginally profitable at present spot prices..

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...d71387d7d57b10
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

I've switched out of silver shares to physical silver, long term investment, and happy to accumulate at these current prices

https://thedailygold.com/gold-somewh...llar-weakness/

PM followers may find Jordan's weekly newsletter of interest. His specialty is gold but he is not bulliish yet.

Default Can't see the price staying low for much longer !

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I've switched out of silver shares to physical silver, long term investment, and happy to accumulate at these current prices
    Yes esp. when it's been in a 6-7yr bear market....Be greedy when others are fearful and all that.... purchased 2x 1kg bars for just over $25oz NZD ....close to the cheapest I've ever purchased per oz in the last decade >>>

The way I see it Fundamentally >> the paper market + general investment market is continuing BEARISH Vs the real world Mining of Silver

International 1H17 HUGE reduction in SILVER production

-According to the most recently released data from Chile’s Ministry of Mining, the country’s silver production declined a stunning 26% in the first quarter of 2017
    https://srsroccoreport.com/breaking-...n-stunning-26/

-The largest primary silver mine in the world experienced a huge decline in its production due to falling ore grades. The Cannington Mine, now run by South 32 Ltd., suffered a huge drop in its silver production during its 1H 2017 reporting time-period. Some companies, such as South 32, start their fiscal new year in July. BHP Billiton, who owned the Cannington mine since its start-up in 1997, spun it off to South 32 back in 2015.
    https://www.moneymetals.com/news/201...decline-001008

Lithium-ion limitations
    Lithium-ion batteries have dominated the mobile market since the beginning, and materials science advances have made them more ubiquitous and reliable than ever before. But it can still be difficult to ensure quality control due to their fragility, a problem not unique to Samsung. All other major mobile makers have had to recall high-end products due to such faults. Indeed, despite their predominance, lithium-ion batteries have limits on how much of a charge they can safely hold in a conveniently-sized device.

Phones are not getting “smaller” in the way people imagined in the early 2000s, but obviously can do so much more, requiring more and more power. According to Reuters, fast-charging technology and improved energy density designs will help meet these requirements, but not make the batteries any less flammable than they are now.

To date, the only real solution, which was proposed in the mid-2000s and has not made much progress since, is adopting silver-zinc battery technology.

The design is proven, but it has not been adopted on a large scale anywhere. Geektime reached out to Dr. Ross E, Dueber, CEO of ZPower, a company that makes silver-zinc batteries, for further comment.

Dr. Dueber notes that cost is the primary reason why silver-zinc batteries have not been implemented for phones and laptops. Several years ago, ZPower developed the technology for these devices, but, “Consumer electronics manufacturers have been unwilling to pay more for silver-zinc than for commodity Li[thium]-ion.” He believes, though, the phasing in the technology would cost less than the billions Samsung will lose over the Note 7 shutdown.

Although the manufacturing costs are higher, Dr. Dueber told Geektime that the silver-zinc design has two advantages over lithium-ion: the first is a higher energy density, which allows them to hold a charge for a longer period of time. The second is that the electrolyte inside them is water-based, similar to alkaline batteries, so if the device malfunctions there will not be a fire. When lithium batteries go haywire they, “overheat and vent, spewing out hot, flammable liquid that ignites in air,” Dr. Dueber said, whereas, “Silver-zinc has a safe failure mode, unlike the frequent catastrophic failure of Li[thium]-ion.”

If manufacturers do change their mind, ZPower would be ready to listen. Currently, the company specializes in miniature batteries using silver-zinc technology, such as those for hearing aids.

What is the best way to buy. Gold or silver coins, or bullion {ingots or bars} ?

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    What is the best way to buy. Gold or silver coins, or bullion {ingots or bars} ?
    Whatever tickles your fancy.... some have higher premiums than others

,,I like to keep to the well know bullion as it's always easier to sell on TM etc If i need the funds ..

. My recent purchase I got a monster box 500oz of US Buffalo 1oz rounds -Minted by NTR Metals "Dallas" Tx. is one of the world’s largest precious metals companies, ..for just over $27oz NZD >>>>

And of course the couple of 1kg Morris & Watson bars https://morrisandwatson.com/about-us/

Best way to buy?? Trademe of course has the odd good deal and I've never had any issues buying off other private owners ...is really NZ free market .... but because of TM high commissions you find it hard to get a deal often asking price $3-5+ higher than buying off dealers like M&W or NZ mint , MYgold ,Bullion deals etc >>

Mmm I'm looking to buy a reasonable amount of physical silver. But the premiums seem to be insane!
    The Morrisandwatson link about is charging a pretty hefty premium, is this standard for physical silver/gold?

Can anyone suggest any lower premiums?