sharetrader
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    You missed "Then I just kept adding to my/our holding on each positive announcement."
    So brought from 3.5 cents up to 25 cents.
    I would suggest you read the whole PAZ thread.

ps.The more research I do the luckier I become..lol.
    What if the announcements were negative? That's why I said you got lucky and certainly not a method new investors should have 'hopes' on. I certainly wouldn't encourage it just like I don't encourage hope to those that buy lottery tickets under the basis of "You never know..." What if you were working with far larger sums like 6 or 7 figures in PAZ and at what impact would it have on it's liquidity?

I'm not saying you were wrong in your investment. I'm saying that to assume a statement "That's how millionaires are made" is completely wrong to the person wanting to get rich from share investing. I have very little experience trading "penny stocks" because the studies in finance i've done at school specify share prices that fall under this category come at different regulations and on all parts, do not meet 'listing requirements' on major stock exchanges (ie. NYSE & Nasdaq delists stocks that fall under $1/share if traded more than 30 day period). They're normally OTC types where their financial statements go unaudited and hence, why they say it's basically gambling instead of investing. So having said this, my explanation is all about liquidity and that's something the NZX doesn't have a lot of ; so it's a poor statement to imply people can make millions of the NZX (look at the behaviour? i've seen actions such as larger NZX companies like TWG issuing new shares to dilute existing share ownership or issue new shares to pay off loans just to prop up their balance sheet or pay dividends (what? issue new shares to pay dividends? isn't that like robbing Peter to pay Paul just so Paul wouldn't feel so bad that his share holdings got diluted a bit?).

I've been living in NZ for over 20 years, the locals that tell me about sharemarket investing tell me that it's a scam and they recall the days of the NZX crash in '86 and how so and so Brierly Investments scammed investors to how Hanover Finance scammed cash deposit investors... yet when they point me to the examples of buying real estate, they keep telling me "At least you can drive by and see it!" Maybe i'm in the wrong circle but i've found the subject of finance is not often talked about at dinner time table. It's rarely spoken about in detail on TV Morning News or on any time slot on NZ TV. Very different to the daytime TV I see in Canada where financial literacy is routinely talk about day and night.. and more so into the schools for children to learn. What is the NZ gov't doing about teaching financial literacy? Leaving it to Uni? Even then it's not taught much.

I won't comment on the attitude that "This is NZ and if you don't like it, you can move back".

Guru

Yes NZX is very rarely talked over the dinner table.
    My acquaintances also mostly think of it as a scam,risky investment etc etc
    If I mention how much the portfolio is up they go,SELL,if it sounds to good be true,then its not true
    Why ? Mostly harks back to 1987 etc
    A bit of it may come down to Kiwi attitudes about talking about money
    Investors have been living in the past & not looking past property.
    I sense this is/will slowly changing when they realize the issues with liquidity in property versus the share market
    Luck doesn't come in to investing,investors make their own luck.
    There is enough liquidity in the NZ share market if you are an investor.

percy

When you buy a share in a business you become a part owner of that business.There are a great number of very good businesses in NZ.
    If the business is sound, and in a sector that has good prospects, and is well managed,usually with directors and management with large holdings, the chances of success is good.This research in finding these companies is where millionaires are made.
    I followed Blackmores in Australia in the early 90's and was attracted to PAZ as I saw the importance of "ingredients".Particularly "pure" NZ ingredients.
    I have owned other companies who have not done as they said they would do.Sold them . Add to your winners,sell your losers.If you can't pick winners stay away from the sharemarket,or place your funds with a fund manager that has a record of success.
    As PAZ kept doing as they said they would do, I kept adding to my holding.
    I have a wide circle of very financial literate friends.There are hundreds of thousands of NZders who own their own business.
    I am 71 years of age and have had the sharemarket as a hobbie since I was 18 .So over 50 years of knowledge.
    Anyone with over 50 years of knowledge/experience will do well in whatever field they choose,whether vintage cars,stamps,coins,art,or property.
    I happen to have chosen the sharemarket.
    Last edited by percy; 03-06-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Veteran novice

As another with over 50 years' knowledge of, and experience in investing in the NZ and Aust sharemarkets I second percy's observations. Of course, it takes time and study to be successful but there's plenty of us around. As a generalisation, Kiwis don't flaunt their success and many feel uncomfortable talking too specifically about money, especially their own. There may be a subtle change starting here with the growing prominence of Kiwisaver?

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Yes NZX is very rarely talked over the dinner table.
    My acquaintances also mostly think of it as a scam,risky investment etc etc
    If I mention how much the portfolio is up they go,SELL,if it sounds to good be true,then its not true
    Why ? Mostly harks back to 1987 etc
    A bit of it may come down to Kiwi attitudes about talking about money
    Investors have been living in the past & not looking past property.
    I sense this is/will slowly changing when they realize the issues with liquidity in property versus the share market
    Luck doesn't come in to investing,investors make their own luck.

There is enough liquidity in the NZ share market if you are an investor.
    Not if there's without a change in NZ's tax laws that favour ownership of multiple rental properties (where all can be sold off without paying capital gains tax). I hate to keep sounding like a tape recorder on repeat but nearly every OECD nation has taxation that is heavily slated against profiting off real estate, while having little or NO tax on gains from investments in equities or a savings / investment plan portfolio.

Yet we often hear the complaint by NZ gov't and critics saying NZ needs to diversify investment away from real estate. It's all very contradicting when I see attempts to make housing affordable such as a ban on foreign buyers acquiring NZ residential properties? Com'on, let's be real here... the politicians themselves are stuck into that game of profiting from real estate ventures, why is it not good enough for the public? It's been cited by the OECD org that NZ's housing prices are excessively unaffordable -> but nobody is listening.

To the issue of liquidity, I ask, well look at other countries and see what % of assets is contained into real estate vs the % value contained in equities? Anotherwords, what % of wealth does the NZX represent in comparison to the % value of ALL real estate in NZ? This is a problem because for many decades, the NZ gov't has expressed people need to diversify away from holding too many houses and look elsewhere to diversify such as in the NZX. What they misunderstand is the NZX simply does not have the assets or listed companies to support such a move. Just imagine if all the rental properties switched hands to principle resident home owners while the proceeds would go into the NZX? What impact would that have? It would be insane. The reason why other exchanges won't have this problem is they attract companies world wide. When the NYSE displays their banner "Where the whole world trades" they mean it because every major foreign company you can think of lists in the US exchanges. They're not going to come to NZX and if there are NZ companies that grow large enough... such as Xero, they end up leaving. So if it's so easy for a NZ company to leave, then why would it be so difficult for NZ investors to move their $ abroad? This is how complex the situation is and it doesn't matter how many years you've invested in the NZ market, one should know it has major limitations.... and you should certainly not advise beginners that the NZX is the be all end all place to buy shares.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Where SBQ comes from is absolutely irrelevant in this discussion. And if you want immigrants to go back "home" there are other websites you can pontificate on.
    I have absolutely nothing against immigrants per se, indeed some of my best friends have spoken to one.

For a large portion of my life I have been and currently I am an immigrant.
    I think it great to go live in another country and culture and learn from that experience, enjoy the diversity and open you mind up to new perspectives and approaches.

I have a lot against posters who continually spout the same narrow minded ill informed drivel day after day after day ad infinitum.
    om mani peme hum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    I have absolutely nothing against immigrants per se, indeed some of my best friends have spoken to one.

For a large portion of my life I have been and currently I am an immigrant.
    I think it great to go live in another country and culture and learn from that experience, enjoy the diversity and open you mind up to new perspectives and approaches.

I have a lot against posters who continually spout the same narrow minded ill informed drivel day after day after day ad infinitum.
    So you would want "certain types" of immigrants (those that opine drivel ad infinitum) to go back home? Or am I reading that wrong too :P

This is an open forum, SBQ can say what he likes, you do not have to read it or even respond. The world is very simple in that regard. He does make interesting points about the tax situation in NZ that it is not conducive to equity investments compared to other jurisdictions.

To be fair in my humble opinion, 1987 was the worst thing that could have happened to NZ. Thankfully we now have the likes of sharesies allowing all and sundry to participate in our capital markets. I just hope the timing is not off and another generation of investors are turned away.

Guru

My view is their is nothing to put me off investing in shares vs property
    Neither have capital gains tax for investors.
    Gearing can be used to buy both.
    The advantage of share investing is there is continual evaluation of capital values and liquidity in the market if one chooses to sell
    Compared to property .......

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    ...Or am I reading that wrong too....
    Yep, big time.

But just for you & both my fans here is a picture of me at my cutest:

Attachment 11652

And if you ask really nicely I may tell you how through continuous pure luck and despite having to pay taxes in several countries I made my many* millions.

PS: Image from here

*For many read one
    Last edited by Snow Leopard; 04-06-2020 at 05:14 PM.
    om mani peme hum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Yep, big time.

But just for you & both my fans here is a picture of me at my cutest:

Attachment 11652

And if you ask really nicely I may tell you how through continuous pure luck and despite having to pay taxes in several countries I made my many* millions.

PS: Image from here

*For many read one
    Pretty cute SL
    I could also add something about the other figure but great stuff.We all make our own luck don't we.