sharetrader

Default Getting up to speed - any good info sources for new investors?

Hi all. I'm planning on getting into investing, and over the past few weeks I've been devouring books, videos and articles to try and educate myself. Do you have recommendations of good information sources for new investors? What concepts are important to understand? Any misinformation to be careful of?

Advanced Member

Good for you educating yourself. If you are talking about shares, one of the best sources is the company itself, tempered by analysis including from here on Sharetrader. After a while it gets clearer what / who to believe.

I find I take a lot more interest if I have some skin in the game, even if only a little bit. That could mean starting with one or two shares and watching them and their sectors. If NZ shares, then suggest choose one or two sectors and check out the companies within them. If you know something about the sector, all the better. (Sometimes that means a sector to avoid!)

I would start with companies that hold their annual shareholder meeting in my city, and make a point of going along and asking questions. Most directors and execs are pretty good about being bailed up at the post meeting tea and bikkies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Hi all. I'm planning on getting into investing, and over the past few weeks I've been devouring books, videos and articles to try and educate myself. Do you have recommendations of good information sources for new investors? What concepts are important to understand? Any misinformation to be careful of?
    well if your looking to make money over the shorter term i.e happy to trade not just invest for retirement 20-40yrs out then IMHO

I think one has to look at it like playing GOLF (which I do) you can read all the books,, watch all the pros online etc and talk on forums with all us guys .. but end of the day you really need to get out on the driving range then on course and take the basic fundamentals you have formed put them into action .

.. fast-forward thousands of hours of trading over many years and just like I find with my golf game .... Its all controlling your emotional mental actions .. confidence breeds results.. but confidence must be backed by disciplined actions...

Keep greed and fear under control ....Listen more Talk less

all might seem easy but its not ... just go ask at all the pros that makes stupid mistakes..

being a successive investor is just about making more good calls than bad
    Last edited by JBmurc; 28-05-2018 at 10:46 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu