sharetrader
Page 110 of 1741 FirstFirst ... 10601001061071081091101111121131141201602106101110 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 17404
    Veteran novice

Yes, percy, EBO has been a great investment for me, too, back to the days when they were a very low profile company called Early Bros Ltd, operating out of premises in Cashel St. Christchurch.

Having instos on the share register can do wonders for the shareprice but they don't often bring in much business. Having a powerful, active parent acting in your interests is a different matter!

Cheers

percy

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Yes, percy, EBO has been a great investment for me, too, back to the days when they were a very low profile company called Early Bros Ltd, operating out of premises in Cashel St. Christchurch.

Having instos on the share register can do wonders for the shareprice but they don't often bring in much business. Having a powerful, active parent acting in your interests is a different matter!

Cheers
    The first EBO agm I attended was in the company's boardroom upstairs at Cashel stree ,and the chairman Jamie Maddren served the tea.Only about a dozen of us shareholders there.
    I think you are right about having a powerful active parent,but can't help thinking that may work out better for HNZ's relationship with all the other banks,as they would see it as not helping out ANZ.

Heartland seems to me to be a finance company in drag. Good. We need finance companies, and if they can get away with calling themselves Banks, so much the better.
    The major, overseas owned NZ banks meanwhile can be seen as Pawnbrokers, without drag. Their Credit Cards, over 20% interest, are a bit steep. I do not have one, but have seen people at pack and save buying food with credit cards. (A historical note, in 1850, the time of Dickens, there were about 400 official pawnbrokers in London. They charged interest of between 15% and 20% per year. 'Victorian City, Judith Flanders, Atlantic Books, 2012').

NZ Farming Systems Uruguay had a sp of about half its net assett value. Olam of Singapore bought them up at 70 and 80 cents a share. Heartland is in a similar situation to NZFS. The sp is well below the 90 cents assett backing of the shares. How much is a Banking License worth? Heartland has one. If our price continues like this then it will be taken over by the Chinese. Lots of cash available. This could be their vehicle to come to NZ. I think if they made an offer of $1.00 at the moment they would get 50% of Heartland. At $1.50 they would get well over 90%. We would make a short term profit, but a long term loss.
    My prediction is a share price of $1.00 by the end of this year, plus dividends. That seems to me to be pretty good.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mouse View Post
    Heartland seems to me to be a finance company in drag. Good. We need finance companies, and if they can get away with calling themselves Banks, so much the better.
    The major, overseas owned NZ banks meanwhile can be seen as Pawnbrokers, without drag. Their Credit Cards, over 20% interest, are a bit steep. I do not have one, but have seen people at pack and save buying food with credit cards. (A historical note, in 1850, the time of Dickens, there were about 400 official pawnbrokers in London. They charged interest of between 15% and 20% per year. 'Victorian City, Judith Flanders, Atlantic Books, 2012').

NZ Farming Systems Uruguay had a sp of about half its net assett value. Olam of Singapore bought them up at 70 and 80 cents a share. Heartland is in a similar situation to NZFS. The sp is well below the 90 cents assett backing of the shares. How much is a Banking License worth? Heartland has one. If our price continues like this then it will be taken over by the Chinese. Lots of cash available. This could be their vehicle to come to NZ. I think if they made an offer of $1.00 at the moment they would get 50% of Heartland. At $1.50 they would get well over 90%. We would make a short term profit, but a long term loss.
    My prediction is a share price of $1.00 by the end of this year, plus dividends. That seems to me to be pretty good.
    So.. When it gets to your predicted $1.00 by end of year.. Will you be selling to Mao Tze Dong ??.. Or are you going to hang out until the Tongs come and offer you a price you can not refuse ??..

On another matter dear to our hearts, I read Treasury have hired GS to run the ruler over Kiwibank....murmerings of more capital needed for their growth (something sadly lacking at HNZ btw) via a possible float

Key is on record as saying 'not while I'm Prime Minister', so perhaps some interesting spin due before the election.

The spin will have something to do with replacing Solid Energy IPO, and urgent need for CHCH rebuild funding, is my guess

anyway, no facts, just one to watch, and will no doubt spark huge debate if it is progressed

I hope to hang onto my Heartland shares very long term. But as investors we have some responsibility I would think to support NZ companies that seem to be making a reasonable profit and effort. This business of buying at 50 cents and selling at 70 cents after six months is brilliant timeing but long term, if everyone does it, the market becomes a racetrack with the Bookies yelling the odds. I see Heartland Bank doing well in the future and we should support our bank in its start-up time. That was the problem incidentally with NZFS. A start-up without support during the start-up period.
    Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    So.. When it gets to your predicted $1.00 by end of year.. Will you be selling to Mao Tze Dong ??.. Or are you going to hang out until the Tongs come and offer you a price you can not refuse ??..

Mouse all smart people pay PAK & SAVE with credit cards. They can earn Interest for up to 55days on there money elsewhere and still pay only the cash price if you have the right type of credit card.
    Possum The Cat

Beaten by technology again! But I know of a number of people who max their cards then turn to family for a bale-out. One even gets her card cut up and the bank sends her a new one! Which soon is at maximum credit limit. Incidentally, not my family. Its our modern day Pawnbroker. Run by banks.
    The real issue is that Heartland is very vulnerable at present to a take over from overseas. They will make the dollar offer for 51%, and will get it! Disgraceful action by Kiwis in taking the bait and selling.
    Quote Originally Posted by POSSUM THE CAT View Post
    Mouse all smart people pay PAK & SAVE with credit cards. They can earn Interest for up to 55days on there money elsewhere and still pay only the cash price if you have the right type of credit card.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by mouse View Post

Hi mouse.FPF is owned by FPA who are now Chinese owned.I thought HNZ may try to takeover FPA as it would make a great fit.Now after reading your post,maybe FPF may takeover HNZ?
    "May we live in interesting times."
    Last edited by percy; 27-02-2013 at 11:35 AM.

janner ... i thought of you when looking at the losers table on direct broker (the decliners list) ..... HNZ and RAK were leading the way along with MAD

See RAK and HNZ do have something in common ...... maybe one shouldn't waste their time and effort and know how on the likes of HNZ after all