sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Back on ignore.
    Your antagonistic approach to posting on here is just so dated, predictable and down right childish.

But also at times comedic.
    Like the economy is on fire. 🤣
    I'm fully invested all the time, oh wait a minute did I say that? Oh only when it suits me. 🤣
    Who are you calling a fraud? 🤣

It would be interesting how many other have you on ignore due to your abusive antics & just lazy posts.
    Looks to me like you're putting yourself on ignore,that's your loss,your reactive choice rather than an informed in control one

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    Thanks, I can see that on the site now. For some reason I thought you had to transfer USD in.

Finally able to move away from Sharesies and their steep fees now that I'm 18.
    One thing to keep an eye on is if you set up your account with margin then a trade using NZD may end up using margin to cover the USD denom trade. If you convert your NZD to USD first then there isn't an issue and your margin trades must be explicit. There may be other ways but this was how I was advised

Investments

Todays Non Farm Payrolls / ISM PMI data all came favourable then expected ...thus US 10 Years drops from 4.68 % to sub 4.50% !!!

Shud make Bull happy if he is playing the long side now ...Are u Bull " Running with the Bulls now " ??

PS : Decks are cleared for a long Santa rally hopefully ??
    Last edited by alokdhir; 04-11-2023 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Looks to me like you're putting yourself on ignore,that's your loss,your reactive choice rather than an informed in control one
    You're not the one that gets constantly trolled and abused by SailorRob. As of yet I haven't flicked the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    That's correct yes.

One of the best companies in the world, Berkshire recently took a large stake in the company, the CEO, Gayner is one of the very top investors in the world. Was on Washington Post board with Buffett.

An extremely high quality compounding machine, and extremely safe as well.

One of only two companies I would put everything I have into, and/or leave everything in for my family if I was to harei ra ehoa
    So in that five years the DOW is up around 35%, the S&P up 54% & the NASDAQ up 89% and paid dividends on top.

Versus 16% Markel has appreciated & hasn't paid a dividend.
    I do realise before that it had very rapid appreciation but it hasn't performed in the last five years, infact it's less than half that of the lowest performing indices.

So even though Markel holds on to its profits & presumably reinvests them its only up 16 - 17% in 5 years.

Has its PE ratio dramatically come down in that time?

Notice there is no abuse in my posts, no calling people liars or frauds, just because I don't agree with them.

Anyway I am interested to hear why you think this is a stock to throw the kitchen sink at as you said.
    Last edited by Daytr; 04-11-2023 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    Todays Non Farm Payrolls / ISM PMI data all came favourable then expected ...thus US 10 Years drops from 4.68 % to sub 4.50% !!!

Shud make Bull happy if he is playing the long side now ...Are u Bull " Running with the Bulls now " ??

PS : Decks are cleared for a long Santa rally hopefully ??
    Yep job numbers increased less than expected and unemployment rate higher than expected

All good news for markets …..we are on a roll
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Asleep at the Wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    It's just a NZ internal transfer, to interactives nz account, so 'free'. Then all currency conversion within interactive.

You can convert 170k nzd to usd for $2 usd.
    Correct. transfers to and from are the simplest I have seen

IB can hold multiple currencies and you can convert at will.
    conversion is not free though

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    So in that five years the DOW is up around 35%, the S&P up 54% & the NASDAQ up 89% and paid dividends on top.

Versus 16% Markel has appreciated & hasn't paid a dividend.
    I do realise before that it had very rapid appreciation but it hasn't performed in the last five years, infact it's less than half that of the lowest performing indices.

So even though Markel holds on to its profits & presumably reinvests them its only up 16 - 17% in 5 years.

Has its PE ratio dramatically come down in that time?

Notice there is no abuse in my posts, no calling people liars or frauds, just because I don't agree with them.

Anyway I am interested to hear why you think this is a stock to throw the kitchen sink at as you said.
    ~37 years of 15% CAGR ain't good enough for you? The fact that it has only risen 16% over 5 years should get you interested, pick up an annual report and decide whether you think the market valuation is fair or not.

The mere fact that Buffett holds a position should be enough to consider taking a look at the stock.

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by Relaxed View Post
    Correct. transfers to and from are the simplest I have seen

IB can hold multiple currencies and you can convert at will.
    conversion is not free though
    When u buy thru IBKR in any market eg USA / India then stock is held in their own custodial account ? Like Sharesies here ? Then do u run the risk of Lehman happening to u or they have some independent custodial service with its own checks and balances that they wont use your bought shares for leverage or anything else ??

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    ~37 years of 15% CAGR ain't good enough for you? The fact that it has only risen 16% over 5 years should get you interested, pick up an annual report and decide whether you think the market valuation is fair or not.

The mere fact that Buffett holds a position should be enough to consider taking a look at the stock.
    Who was saying history is no predictor of the future? Yep it was a great investment up to 5 years ago. And one to get out of five years ago and if that money was just invested in any of the major indices your return would have been well more than doubled or even tripled.

I'm asking SailorRob, not you, why it's a good investment now.
    Is that not a reasonable question?
    Why do you think you can lecture someone?

Buffet also bought Para, take a look at the performance since he bought. I wonder how many followed him into that quicksand?

I saw Charlie Monger at the recent annual address, munching on crackers or something as he spoke. He made Biden look sprightly.
    No doubt they have had incredible success, however I do wonder if like all good things, they come to an end.

No doubt their holdings will see Berkshire do well no matter what, I am more circumspect about their stock picking going forward though.
    Last edited by Daytr; 04-11-2023 at 08:44 AM.