sharetrader

Hybrid View

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Unless of course dropping values wipe out your equity, which has been the downfall of many a property investor in a downturn.
    Fungus my old mate when it all hits the fan you only own what you have paid for at that time, and what material assets you own outright, everything else is nothing. I predict a major upheaval in the money market in the short to medium term. If you see it otherwise well good luck, I think you might need it. Property investors that have gone under and will go under in the future are the greedy ones coming a gutser owing to much debt. The smart ones never accumulate to much debt and ride the small downtrends and sell in the highs. Macdunk

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by duncan macgregor View Post
    Fungus my old mate when it all hits the fan you only own what you have paid for at that time, and what material assets you own outright, everything else is nothing. I predict a major upheaval in the money market in the short to medium term. If you see it otherwise well good luck, I think you might need it. Property investors that have gone under and will go under in the future are the greedy ones coming a gutser owing to much debt. The smart ones never accumulate to much debt and ride the small downtrends and sell in the highs. Macdunk
    You are right. That's why I am a full time property investor and have been for many years, although I've long since dropped residential, which I consider to be about the worst investment possible at present. My comments refer to those investors who build large portfolios with less than 20 - 25% equity. And I mean real equity - not jacked up 'user friendly' valuations etc. It's dead easy to get wiped out in a market drop if the real equity margins aren't sensible.