sharetrader
Page 103 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1069

Thread: Dow

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Don't focus on the Dow. It's the S&P 500 that matters.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/ma...08-gto0fg.html
    It depends on what you are trying to achieve..
    ...The S&P500 is great for short term costing or fundamental crystal ball gazing doing forward analysis of various kinds..
    ...The DOW for its longer term cyclical/secular trends and behaviour including its Theories
    The media pushes it's own barrow in hyped up fashion and unfortunately the readers are guided into narrow thinking and go off half-cocked forming malformed deductions especially when the DOW/S&P500 suddenly do a short term correlated blip and go outside their Correlation coefficient "norm".

For the record..The DOW of 30 stocks performs nearly identically to the S&P of 500 stocks..I googled quickly to find the correlation coefficient between the two ...the daily percent change (deviation) is 0.96163....1.0 is identical so DOW V S&P500 have very close to identical daily movements..

So why the sudden media drama??
    ...My guess from googling is that the last 30 days the correlation coefficient has trended down to 0.91 ..If I remember correctly from doing countless statistical analysis back in the days when pterodactyls still flew around in the skies >0.85 was considered highly significant correlation...so 0.91 is by no means a bad news DOW event that the media makes it out to be..

So when it comes to analysis or forming a base for a theory, or to correlate figures into a meaningful objectives, the longer the history/larger amounts of data the better the quality of analysis....With that in mind the DOW needs to keep functioning for as long as it is possible..for Centuries more preferably (data-wise)

The DOW was created back in 1894..the S&P500 was created in it's present form in 1957.. IMHO.. even though S&P500 analysis is being used more frequently than the DOW these days in refining Sharemarket Theory, the S&P500 still needs many more decades of data before it could safely replace the DOW and make the DOW irrelevant....In the meantime the DOW/S&P500 showing near identical movements the hypertheoretical reliability to be able to confirm each other during Wall ST cyclical corrections and reversals is very very important....Decades ago it was the DOW industrials /Dow transport confirmations...With the S&P500 becoming the more superior index it is now DOW/S&P500 confirmation or in some cases the Russell index is included in the confirmations as well..
    Last edited by Hoop; 27-01-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Veteran novice

Yes, Hoop, it's true that the two indices pretty much track each other and that the Dow has the historical data argument on its side. But the fact remains that one follows 30 stocks and the other 500. For a clearer snapshot of market movements I'll go with the S&P.

I do appreciate your technical analysis - adds an important dimension to our understanding of the market.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Yes, Hoop, it's true that the two indices pretty much track each other and that the Dow has the historical data argument on its side. But the fact remains that one follows 30 stocks and the other 500. For a clearer snapshot of market movements I'll go with the S&P.

I do appreciate your technical analysis - adds an important dimension to our understanding of the market.

For a clearer snapshot of market movements I'll go with the S&P
    .....Yeah sure, I do too, most of the "todays" stuff I do and read involves the S&P not the DOW...As most investors "live the moment" I would assume the S&P is their market of choice...and more companies in the index lessen any possible one company temporarily upsetting the indices...Mind you in saying that..Apple commands a large chunk of the S&P500 ...

Guru

Another record high. It just keeps on going. When will this Bull end? Might go for another 4 years if they get their "phenomenal tax plan" in the states.....

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    When will this Bull end?
    As stated before I would suspect the SP will reach about 2500 based on the fifth wave approximating the same distance as the first wave.
    Last edited by peat; 18-02-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Guru

20,500 Boom another all time high!! DOW

Love this chart from 'chart of the day'

Inflation adjsuted DOW

Just where it should be and long way to the next resistance level
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Default I couldn't resist the temptation..sorry

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Love this chart from 'chart of the day'

Inflation adjsuted DOW

Just where it should be and long way to the next resistance level
    Yep...and it hits resistance every 35 years and support every 50 years or so ... by 2035 the DOW should reach it's low of 7000 .... but hang on it should also be due to hit resistance too at 40,000...WOW that's a giant crash..eh
    Last edited by Hoop; 16-02-2017 at 09:25 PM.

At some point DOW should reach top in the current major uptrend.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MARKETWINNER View Post
    At some point DOW should reach top in the current major uptrend.
    Wow 9th straight session record high... this just keeps on going.