sharetrader
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Yes. I am seeing it within my own family.
    And those new investors often already trust property. So the Retirement companies, VHP, PFI etc are probably going to form part of their investments that they are already comfortable with. So while they might be concerned about the sharemarket…..they may feel more confident with real estate sector of it.
    The end game is that there will be fewer and fewer rentals on the market and rents will go up as demand increases and supply diminishes. My end game is to go through this short term pain with my rentals to reap the increased rent rewards in 3-5 years time. This is not good for renters no matter how well intentioned by this govt.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Doing one's property investment via the listed retirement village sector becomes increasingly attractive!

That is what I have been doing since Ryman listed! I have seen so many people having issues with tenants including with close family similar to Beagle's difficult experiences.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    The end game is that there will be fewer and fewer rentals on the market and rents will go up as demand increases and supply diminishes. My end game is to go through this short term pain with my rentals to reap the increased rent rewards in 3-5 years time. This is not good for renters no matter how well intentioned by this govt.
    It may be good in making property available for first time buyers looking for owner-occupation?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    It may be good in making property available for first time buyers looking for owner-occupation?
    It certainly will, as property prices may also fall as more supply comes on the market. Which will in turn drive up yields. So hopefully the market can balance things out. But its not going to be good for renters.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I thought I would be pretty safe putting my own kids into our downstairs flat.
    Each of them made a big mess it in their own ways. I feel better though because damage / unpaid rent was in the very low 4 figures on both occasions.
    What I have seen many times from my clients is the single worst business strategy you can engage in is let your rental property out to your own kids.
    I have seen repairs and maintenance bills for several clients running well into five figures.
    The fact that the transaction is not an arms length business one, in a nutshell, they think they are entitled to get away with almost anything.
    If there's drugs involved, look out, you're really in trouble then and how do you put them out into the street and still sleep at night ?
    I second that. Never again

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    But as we know we need more rentals ... the way its going future wise the Govt.(Taxpayers) will be building many more low cost accommodation blocks to put roofs over the heads of many thousands of kiwis that will rent for life
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I second that. Never again
    The "icing on the cake" was we only ever charged them half the market rate for the flat, (seems the decent thing to do for your own kids to help them get ahead) and they just squandered the money on other "essentials" like cigarettes', booze and drugs and when they moved out left the place like a rubbish dump. I never once heard a single word of appreciation for the very cheap rent but do recall quite a bit of attitude that we were charging them anything at all !
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    But as we know we need more rentals ... the way its going future wise the Govt.(Taxpayers) will be building many more low cost accommodation blocks to put roofs over the heads of many thousands of kiwis that will rent for life
    We need more houses/apartments/units. We need more secure, safe and healthy abodes for families. Whether these are owned by landlords or owner occupiers is as much a political decision/fiscal decision as anything else.

Banned

The "icing on the cake" was we only ever charged them half the market rate for the flat, (seems the decent thing to do for your own kids to help them get ahead) and they just squandered the money on other "essentials" like cigarettes', booze and drugs and when they moved out left the place like a rubbish dump. I never once heard a single word of appreciation for the very cheap rent but do recall quite a bit of attitude that we were charging them anything at all !
    The entitled/no responsibility/want it and want it now/laden with debt generation, I'm hearing ya.

Legend

Did you manage to claim interest paid as an expense?