sharetrader
Page 70 of 85 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    Safest option would be NZ and international ETF funds on the NZX offered by NZX owned Smartshares.

For active management funds consider PIE Funds for small NZ/Aus companies and Punakaiki Fund for venture capital like exposure to a range of fast growing companies.

Regarding Milford, you might like to read this:
    Milford Asset Management to pay $1.5 million following FMA investigation
    That’s a bit of a low blow Jaa imo .
    Who do you bank with ? If you are part of the 90 odd % in NZ good chance the parent bank has paid 100’s of millions in fines over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    That’s a bit of a low blow Jaa imo .
    Really? Name another NZ fund manager that has paid a similar fine in recent years?

A reminder of the facts of the case:

The judge declared that Warminger breached the Securities Market Act "by manipulating the market for shares in FPH on 27 May 2014 by increasing the offer quote and price for FPH shares and maintaining them at a higher level than otherwise would have been the case and also by entering a crossing for the sale of FPH shares which created a misleading appearance as the price of the crossing was influenced by his earlier trades".
    Justice Venning also declared that Warminger breached that same law "by manipulating the market for shares in ATM on 9 July 2014 by increasing the offer quote and price for ATM shares and maintaining them at a higher level than otherwise would have been the case and has also created a misleading appearance as to the demand and/or price for ATM shares on the day".
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=11811452

This was enough for me to move my money elsewhere as did the NZ Super Fund.

Mark Warminger remained a shareholder of Milford Asset Management until 29 April 2019.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    Really? Name another NZ fund manager that has paid a similar fine in recent years?

A reminder of the facts of the case:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=11811452

This was enough for me to move my money elsewhere as did the NZ Super Fund.

Mark Warminger remained a shareholder of Milford Asset Management until 29 April 2019.
    So an Employee did something wrong and went before the court . My point is how many individuals in the major banks in Australia have faced action -but the banks have paid massive fines .
    If someone at Bunnings gets convicted for fraud , would you stop shopping there ?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Everything into PEB, Drew95.

It is going to be a 10 bagger this year, I heard.

You are correct - I do have some speculative investment in PEB. My own money. And money I can afford to lose.

What I am enquiring about is where to place some funds, that aren't mine, for long term investment, income not required.

Suggestions welcome.
    “Instead of thinking “I’m right”, ask yourself “How do I know I am right?” Find the smartest people to disagree with you so you can stress test your ideas.” Ray Dalio

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Milford is a good option.

MSL? Who the hell are they?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12294223

Attachment 10938
    “Instead of thinking “I’m right”, ask yourself “How do I know I am right?” Find the smartest people to disagree with you so you can stress test your ideas.” Ray Dalio

Milford KiwiSaver funds are consistently listed as the top performers, so whatever creative methods they employ seems to be paying off for their clients. I am happy with their results as far as KiwiSaver goes, although they aren’t aggressive enough for my retirement ambitions so I do my own risky investments!

So an Employee did something wrong and went before the court . My point is how many individuals in the major banks in Australia have faced action -but the banks have paid massive fines .
    If someone at Bunnings gets convicted for fraud , would you stop shopping there ?
    Warminger wasn’t just an ‘employee’. He was a shareholder and one of the most senior members of the investment team.

I'm not OP but if one of the most senior staff at Bunnings was found to be removing safety apparatus from a retail customer product for a financial benefit for Bunnings, then yes I probably would seriously consider whether I'd continue shopping there when Mitre 10 is just next door and has no such track record. That's a better analogy.

Not to say that this might not have been a one-off for Milford, but it is a fair piece of information to consider from a due diligence perspective as it indicates a failure in the organisation's ability to prevent this activity (either through compliance transactional controls or cultural behavioural controls).

Quote Originally Posted by Timesurfer View Post
    Milford KiwiSaver funds are consistently listed as the top performers, so whatever creative methods they employ seems to be paying off for their clients. I am happy with their results as far as KiwiSaver goes, although they aren’t aggressive enough for my retirement ambitions so I do my own risky investments!
    When "Creative methods" is fraud, I don't think any of us should be encouraging it... remember when someone is playing that game for their benefit someone else is being unfairly ripped off.

My short time observing the NZX tells me that games are going on all the time. Small pools like this are easy to cause ripples in if you are a big fish.
    My otherworld business dealings have taught me that there is corruption and those who will step all over anyone else to get where they think they are going so I just learn from my experience and get better at playing the game to avoid being one of the ones getting burnt.