sharetrader

Thread: ZEL - Z Energy.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    winner69 " The CEO did tell him that share is back to where it was when they took over from shell ".
    yes this is correct they have slipped back from 32.5 in FY 11 and 12 to 30.4 in FY13
    as per page 118
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    yes this is correct they have slipped back from 32.5 in FY 11 and 12 to 30.4 in FY13
    as per page 118
    Here's what was said. See bennetts on to the ipo bit ...share ain't anything if it costs shareholders. A large, chunk of z sales are 'commercial' but some of that info is commercial sensitive stuff.

Excerpt from shoeshine

Market share of all products has been declining since about mid 2011 and at about 28% is back where it was when the company rebranded.

However, Mr Bennetts is not concerned about that because the company concentrates on being within a certain band and as long as it has economies of scale it makes money.

“We believe that we are comfortably in that band right now. If we wanted to increase market share we could do that. But we think it would have an economic consequence that would destroy shareholder value.”
    Last edited by winner69; 26-07-2013 at 07:54 AM.

Sort of says no growth aspirations from fuel except what the market delivers

So it's all about more coffee and muffins and chocolate bars

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

Exactly.With smaller cars using less petrol,there is no growth in the fuel market.
    Just another retailer fighting in a tough market.
    I must admit to finding it rather a waste of time when I go to the counter to pay for my petrol, to be asked if I want a coffee or overpriced chocolate bars.
    No.!
    Last edited by percy; 26-07-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Exactly.With smaller cars using less petrol,there is no growth in the fuel market.
    Just another retailer fighting in a tough market.
    I must admit to finding it rather a waste of time when I go to the counter to pay for my petrol, to be asked if I want a coffee or overpriced chocolate bars.
    No.!
    And the big volume commercial markets look pretty cut throat and low margin.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

Winner,
    You are spot on. I had 24 years with BP. Retail margins got tighter and tighter after deregulation. Deregulation was needed. NZ had 1 service station per 3000 people which was 3 times the requirement. The dogs have died and are still dying. It has become a coffee/muffins and chocolate business. If you invest in this IPO then you can look forward to a pretty stable but boring return With a little bit of long term downside.....The fat in Service Station retailing has been well and truly removed.

Better opportunities elsewhere.