sharetrader
Page 945 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 44584589593594194294394494594694794894995599510451445 ... LastLast
Results 9,441 to 9,450 of 16077

I'll give John Key's move on NOT GOING to Waitangi the Chess symbols of ??!!! (looks questionable but really a super brilliant move).

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    I'll give John Key's move on NOT GOING to Waitangi the Chess symbols of ??!!! (looks questionable but really a super brilliant move).
    I hope the TV channels and media reporters do likewise.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    Or is John Key just spineless?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Or is John Key just spineless?

Are you the full quid?

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Whether it is a vanity project or an attempt at raising our profile as distinct to the confusion with Australia - widely held in all parts of the planet, is subjective. I think Key has done more to raise NZs profile than any previous minister or prime minister.
    It is a binding referendum so can't fail. It must produce a result. The process was not and is not being rushed.
    I am intrigued by your observation that John Key doing more to raise New Zealands profile than any other previous minister or Prime Minister. On what basis do you believe this to be the case?. Compared to David Lange he is a relatively poor public speaker Unlikely to see him debating at the Oxford Union. I think history will be relatively kind to him, in a Keith Holyoake way. He is, however, by no stretch of the imagination a conviction politician. He has been very careful to decouple any linkage between the flag referendum and our future constitutional arrangements. He desperately wants a knighthood when he does decide to go, which is unsurprising as he has a degree of vanity.

I would suggest Key will be remembered more like Muldoon, but with less wit. Someone who got arrogant & overstayed his welcome. Muldoon had the luxury of an ineffective opposition under Rowling, until a charismatic leader came along in the form of Lange. Perhaps history is repeating.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Advanced Member

........ I know of one or two job sectors where Filipino workers are often being used in preference for new staff positions. Would it be so that higher wages can be paid? I doubt it.
    We have, and have had, many tenants from the Philippines. Without exception, they have been exemplary tenants - no rent issues, unfailingly clean, tidy and polite. If employers have had the same experience, it is not surprising if they make the same decisions we do.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    We have, and have had, many tenants from the Philippines. Without exception, they have been exemplary tenants - no rent issues, unfailingly clean, tidy and polite. If employers have had the same experience, it is not surprising if they make the same decisions we do.
    Artemis, that's not what I was getting at. Employers know that even our relatively low minimum pay here, will be a lot higher (on paper) than the pay in their home country. It'll be a while before they realise all the other costs in NZ tend to swamp out that near minimum pay. However, employees who may have seen more rigorous working conditions overseas will probably have a better attitude in a new workplace here. The test will be if NZ employers move new immigrants up the pay scale, or simply recycle to new workers, also on low pay. I'm putting aside my concern about NZ school leavers finding jobs, at the moment, but that's another side-issue.
    Last edited by elZorro; 05-02-2016 at 07:17 AM.

Guru

Artemis, that's not what I was getting at. Employers know that even our relatively low minimum pay here, .
    El Zorro can you please provide links for that... because I believe your statement to be a lie.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    El Zorro can you please provide links for that... because I believe your statement to be a lie.
    Blackcap, don't be so sensitive. It's anecdotal, how can a statement like that be disproven or proven? It would be a lot of data to be collected. Employers aren't so crazy, and here I'm talking about operations that perhaps aren't wildly profitable. After they decide if a person is keen to work, has (or could be trained to have) the skills needed for the job, the next thought they have is "Can I afford to employ this person, what are they expecting?", or even better "Can I have a good worker and cheekily offer them a lower pay rate?"

I had another employer phone me up once, to ask what I was paying my staff. I gave him a rough idea. Then he said I was paying too much, I should trim it back, and I'd still get staff. No bull. This is going on all the time. I always pay staff well above the liveable wage, after all they're the guts of my business.

More about John Key and the Waitangi Day decision.

http://thestandard.org.nz/waitangi-c...hn-plucks-off/