sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stocks for 2019

Default Stocks for 2019

Following are brokers’ picks.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12178279

How about great picks from our top experts in the forum? Thanks.
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 26-12-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Valuegrowth View Post
    Following are brokers’ picks.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12178279

How about great picks from our top experts in the forum? Thanks.
    I reckon we should wait until the 2019 stock pick comp is finalised before we get into this.Lol

IMO

Anyone who CLAIMs they are should be avoided like the plague imo.

I think "top experts" is clearly meant as a euphemistic term...shame one didn't embrace the spirit of the season and realise that...but I agree that this is probably more appropriate after the 2019 competition kicks off.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Anyone who CLAIMs they are should be avoided like the plague imo.
    I reckon I pretty much became a Top Expert at drinking cider and eating chocolate over the last week, well from what I remember anyway.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    I reckon I pretty much became a Top Expert at drinking cider and eating chocolate over the last week, well from what I remember anyway.
    Hey i was an expert in avoiding ham this xmas.
    Throwing around stock ideas, sectors, tactics, strategies. is great.

Quote Originally Posted by cymonger View Post
    I'm no expert, but the emotional swings of 2018 were like being in a relationship with a crazy person. I've been reading (and re-reading) Warren Buffett's recommendation for these turbulent times, the poem "if"

"If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,"

With this in mind, I'm holding what I'm already holding (OCA, THL, HLG, A2) for the foreseeable future. But new money?? Mainfreight. Their chart is pretty damn convincing over the last five years.

I'd rather date boring this year..
    What I found most fascinating from Monday's stock rout on the US markets was Fed Ex's downgrade blaming widespread slowdown in growth in Asia, Europe with Brexit and some in the US. These sort of bellwether stocks are usually a very good forward indicator on how things are going and it was trading on a forward PE of just 10.5 after Monday's big fall. Mainfrieght have heaps of international operations...if Fed Ex is finding things very tough is their warning a free heads up warning for Mainfrieght shareholders with the latter's shares trading on a trailing PE of 25.5 ?
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I have already picked one for 2019 and it is a more or less (+/- 5%) guaranteed 20%.

Will update in the new year.

"Guaranteed" for 2019 lol...you're kidding right

Phew! Not much of a consensus on next year's picks from those entrusted with other people's money! Their achievements in last year's stock-picking contest were pretty much scatter-gun too. Just proves no one has a crystal ball and I might as well continue to make my own mistakes.