sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    Buffett is the worlds best capital allocator without a question, which is why I strive to mimic his investing style. If I am half as good as he has been and manage a 5% edge over the SP500 in my life with no total loss of capital events then I will be extremely wealthy.

Let's say that's true, Buffett only buys preferred stock (WTH?) and trades on inside information, how do you think Buffett started? Buffett's returns in the partnership day's were far superior since he was working with small sums of capital initially. I wouldn't comment on how Buffett chooses to invest - you clearly have no clue.
    He started out by being the best, prior to, and moving into, decades of massive stock boom. Today is a very different beast from when he started out. It's like you're using the best wooden tennis racket, and thinking that will help make you a great tennis player.

Quote Originally Posted by Azz View Post
    He started out by being the best, prior to, and moving into, decades of massive stock boom. Today is a very different beast from when he started out. It's like you're using the best wooden tennis racket, and thinking that will help make you a great tennis player.
    This is the last comment I'll make on this because frankly you can't help throwing insults instead of debating ideas.

Buffett's best years in the partnership days were ones of stock market decline, it is far harder to find cheap securities in a speculative boom than when everything is dropping in price. The best case scenario for me is a long depression where most securities are going for pennies on the dollar, after all I'll likely be a net buyer of stocks for decades. You'll struggle to understand that I'm sure.

I don't understand your tennis racket analogy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    This is the last comment I'll make on this because frankly you can't help throwing insults instead of debating ideas.

Buffett's best years in the partnership days were ones of stock market decline, it is far harder to find cheap securities in a speculative boom than when everything is dropping in price. The best case scenario for me is a long depression where most securities are going for pennies on the dollar, after all I'll likely be a net buyer of stocks for decades. You'll struggle to understand that I'm sure.

I don't understand your tennis racket analogy.
    You're a stock picker, nothing else. But the way you're picking stocks is not appropriate for today's market. You're using a system (the wooden tennis racket) that is out of date. You do have the BEST wooden tennis racket, however: Buffett's but with common stock and no insiders to help manage after the purchase.

Thanks Azz. On Monday we may see some kind of panic situation in Asian markets. They will highlight some reasons to sell stocks. This time it’s a shutdown. I am prepared for those types of market attacks as I don’t buy market losers or weak balance sheets with mountain of debt. Good luck for your investment.

Valuegrowth, just want to say thanks for you posting articles, videos, etc.

https://tech.co/news/worried-regulat...pay-later-tech
    9 Reasons to Worry About the Rise of “Buy Now Pay Later” Tech

"Here's the list of nine problematic BNPL provider practices to address, according to Chien:

• Wide variance and poor transparency in pricing structures
    • Multiple and excessive fees
    • Automatic repayments and use of credit cards for repayment
    • Limited assessment of repayment capacity
    • Inconsistent credit reporting
    • Exploitation of behavioral biases
    • Data harvesting and data privacy
    • Challenges with returns

In other words, we're on track as a society to continue putting off our bills even further into the future.

In a world where potential catestrophy lurks around those future corners, that's not great news. You might be safe from that tropical storm in California or the Maui wildfires, but sooner or later, you'll face your own potential climate disaster.

Adding a bunch of bills to your budget isn't the best preparation — even if they're all really tiny."
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 30-09-2023 at 01:07 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Valuegrowth View Post
    Thanks Azz. On Monday we may see some kind of panic situation in Asian markets.
    That's all we need lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Valuegrowth View Post
    They will highlight some reasons to sell stocks. This time it’s a shutdown. I am prepared for those types of market attacks as I don’t buy market losers or weak balance sheets with mountain of debt. Good luck for your investment.
    Good stuff; only weak balance sheets I have are tiny gold miners lol (two stocks, in my "high risk" portion). And, Thanks!
    Last edited by Azz; 30-09-2023 at 01:14 PM.

Guru

There are problems (good problems to have) with supply. The demand is so hot that they're actually sold out and a lot of work is being done to meet this demand. It actually makes quarterly reporting incredible because any product not shipped due to a supply issue in a quarter means when it's made it just hits the next quarter! I've never seen anything like it. There could be shares issued by the company, it's been talked about. But really there's so much cash coming in, a spend-up can be done just from that. And the fab plants in US they're (TSMC) trying to build are delayed because the US workforce is too stoned and useless and lazy, they can't find decent workers lol. 2030 is too far away to talk actual numbers; my instinct is that it will become the biggest company in the world.
    Biggest company in what, market cap, revenue, net income, assets?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Biggest company in what, market cap, revenue, net income, assets?
    Good question. I meant market cap.

Banned

I meant market cap.
    A lot of this is determined on who grabs the "middle ground" of AI, and how it's grabbed. Middle ground I see as entire corporate functions swapped-out for plug-ins at a datacentre (ie, A.I. for rent). So far, Nvidia is leading in this area, but there will be competition (though most of that competition will be using Nvidia hardware!).

Banned

A lot of this is determined on who grabs the "middle ground" of AI, and how it's grabbed. Middle ground I see as entire corporate functions swapped-out for plug-ins at a datacentre (ie, A.I. for rent). So far, Nvidia is leading in this area, but there will be competition (though most of that competition will be using Nvidia hardware!).
    Let's move Nvidia talk to the Nvidia forum. :-)