sharetrader
Page 273 of 1942 FirstFirst ... 1732232632692702712722732742752762772833233737731273 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,730 of 19415
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by thestg View Post
    Well it is good to see OCA looking after us shareholders.
    My mother-in-law is in OCA care in Hastings but I’m now wondering if the residents are considered, as yesterday they didn’t prepare enough meals for lunch. They then said they could make sandwiches’ only to find they had nothing to put on them so a few residents appeared to have missed out on a meal.
    Hope this is an isolated incident & won’t happen again. My largest investment is in this company & this is very concerning.
    That is not good!! Oceania is my largest holding and I hope they will look after those residents. I invest not only for profit, but ethical reasons. I hope your mother in law is still enjoying her stay

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    That is not good!! Oceania is my largest holding and I hope they will look after those residents. I invest not only for profit, but ethical reasons. I hope your mother in law is still enjoying her stay
    Trust me these kind of stories can get very mixed up from the actual version of events more often than not.PS- I'd bet no one actually missed out on not eating anything.
    Last edited by couta1; 15-01-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Trust me these kind of stories can get very mixed up from the actual version of events more often than not.PS- I'd bet no one actually missed out on not eating anything.
    Thanks!! Good to hear from an inside perspective. I don’t like hearing these things as well as many others I am sure

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    All other care is exceptional. I am in Oz on holiday at for the next 2 weeks, but there is a residents meeting soon & the affected people are going to take it up with management. So far I have only found out that they had a new cook who hadn't ordered correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by thestg View Post
    So far I have only found out that they had a new cook who hadn't ordered correctly.
    How hard is it. 50 residents = 50 meals. 2 bits of bread = 100 bits for lunch. Not finding something to put in 2 bits of bread doesnt say much about the cooks abilities.

(Couta - it may be the residents doesnt miss a meal (of course they wont - they may miss the routine) but if there is a contract to provide three meals a day then that is the minimum service expectation which should be delivered on)

Notwithstanding the extreme over-valuations of Ryman and Summerset, it has been concerns over the residential property market that has investors in the retirement sector worried," Brown said.

maybe people switching to arv / oca ?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12190600
    one step ahead of the herd

Handsome Member

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    Notwithstanding the extreme over-valuations of Ryman and Summerset
    How did Devon Funds determine "Extreme over-valuations"

percy

[QUOTE=Beagle;743897]https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c...merstaples.asp
    "Consumer staples are essential products, such as food, beverages, tobacco and household items. Consumer staples are goods that people are unable or unwilling to cut out of their budgets regardless of their financial situation. Consumer staples are considered to be non-cyclical, meaning that they are always in demand, no matter how well the economy is performing. People tend to demand consumer staples at a relatively constant level, regardless of their price".

The S & P NZ Consumer Staple Index includes the following 17 NZ companies.I have included their weighting.[as of today]
    ATM...73.15%
    SML...6.19%
    SCL...4.47%
    FSF...4.22%
    SAN...3.80%
    DGL....2.61%
    PGW....1.55%
    CVT.....1.43%
    NZK.....1.09%
    GXH.....0.49%
    FWL......0.38%
    TGG......0.17%
    MOA.....0.13%
    ALF......0.06%
    SEA......0.06%
    PIL........0.01%.
    What we learn is two fold.
    a} what a consumer staple is,as it is referred to on sharemarkets..
    b} A2 milk makes up 73.15 % of the index.
    Last edited by percy; 16-01-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Correction Percy. What we learn is how S&P went about making up an index on the NZX
    Fact is there are very few companies on the NZX that produce true consumer staples, (staples are basic consumer goods that people are unable or unwilling to cut out of their budgets regardless of their financial situation). The absurdness of this particular index that S&P have constructed on the NZX is exemplified by not only the ludicrous weighting of ATM, which will purely be a function of its market capitalization, (not the extent to which consumer use the product relative to other index constituents) and that the vast majority of consumers would never even have heard of A2 milk let alone consider it an essential item, whereas there wouldn't be a single motorist on the road who is not aware of the essential need of fuel, (other than those who choose otherwise by using electricity).

Consider this, how much petrol would the average consumer buy per week ? How much A2 Milk would the average consumer buy per week taking into account most consumers have never heard of A2 milk ? EVF's make up less than 1% of the national fleet so which is an absolute consumer staple with no substitute, fuel or A2 milk ?

If you can't see it so be it...lets just agree to disagree.
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-01-2019 at 11:56 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Correction Percy. What we learn is how S&P went about making up an index on the NZX
    Fact is there are very few companies on the NZX that produce true consumer staples, (staples are basic consumer goods that people are unable or unwilling to cut out of their budgets regardless of their financial situation). The absurdness of this particular index that S&P have constructed on the NZX is exemplified by not only the ludicrous weighting of ATM, which will purely be a function of its market capitalization, (not the extent to which consumer use the product relative to other index constituents) and that the vast majority of consumers would never even have heard of A2 milk let alone consider it an essential item, whereas there wouldn't be a single motorist on the road who is not aware of the essential need of fuel, (other than those who choose otherwise by using electricity).

Consider this, how much petrol would the average consumer buy per week ? How much A2 Milk would the average consumer buy per week taking into account most consumers have never heard of A2 milk ? EVF's make up less than 1% of the national fleet so which is an absolute consumer staple with no substitute, fuel or A2 milk ?

If you can't see it so be it...lets just agree to disagree.
    Petrol might be missing but booze isn’t ...a real consumable staple
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”