74 56.49%
  • Goff is just an idiot

2,147,483,658 100.00%
  • Epic fail for Labour

1,935 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 37 of 101 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I'm not sure I follow. Just watch the video and tell me what is wrong with it. What does neo con even mean?
    You are right, neo con https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism is not the policy of the one man university more likely "neo liberalism" is more correct.
    Found the comments amusing. The video is questionable in its asumptions.

westerly

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    You are right, neo con https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism is not the policy of the one man university more likely "neo liberalism" is more correct.
    Found the comments amusing. The video is questionable in its asumptions.

westerly
    I'm still confused why you would think the video is questionable? What the video tells me is a clear example of basic economics of "Paretal Optimal" (or Paretal Efficiency) where 1 person's benefit can NOT be achieved without the other person (or persons) losing. The person in the video that did the least work appeared to benefit from the loss of the harder working person of the much higher income.

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    As for how CGT would constrain growth and deter investment, yes I agree with that. Fortunately i'm able to keep my options open on the impact of CGT in the next 5 or 10 years and when I can see the effects (ie. my children having little chance of employment / lower standard of living / etc) we would be quick to move abroad.
    Interesting statement in the context of your post. I take it as a vote of confidence into this proposal.

Just remember - many of Labour's core clientele would not have this option - and while they might enjoy in the short term seeing their "rich" neighbours taxed over the hilt - they might less enjoy when their welfare benefits are cut because the state is running out of money if the larger taxpayers are leaving the country in droves.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Interesting statement in the context of your post. I take it as a vote of confidence into this proposal.

Just remember - many of Labour's core clientele would not have this option - and while they might enjoy in the short term seeing their "rich" neighbours taxed over the hilt - they might less enjoy when their welfare benefits are cut because the state is running out of money if the larger taxpayers are leaving the country in droves.
    Interesting isn't it. My partner and I have recently had the discussion about moving our capital out of NZ if a CGT is imposed by this government. She has Australian and UK passports and I have a European passport so plenty of opportunities to go and put our money and capital in other jurisdictions that are more friendly to investment. Labour need to be careful what they wish for.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Interesting isn't it. My partner and I have recently had the disceven this motly lot wiussion about moving our capital out of NZ if a CGT is imposed by this government. She has Australian and UK passports and I have a European passport so plenty of opportunities to go and put our money and capital in other jurisdictions that are more friendly to investment. Labour need to be careful what they wish for.
    Good luck, but I doubt that we will end up with anything more harsh than other countries. Even this motley lot know better.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Good luck, but I doubt that we will end up with anything more harsh than other countries. Even this motley lot know better.
    And Jacinda will be a hero saving farmers, business owners and many others from what Cullen suggested
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    And Jacinda will be a hero saving farmers, business owners and many others from what Cullen suggested
    How can it be "fair" if it excludes certain parts of the community?

Seems t me it is now an attack on high income earners, and about re-distributing the wealth to non-earners.

GCT may apply to the family home - as it stands at present

if you use a room(s) as an "office" and claim the expenses for it, you have a choice, don't claim the expenses and no GCT or claim them and you pay GCT - albeit based on the % of your home used say 1 room = 20% so you would pay GCT on 20% of the gain I presume - something like that
    More detail here https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12207150 ... if they have it right!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    GCT may apply to the family home - as it stands at present

if you use a room(s) as an "office" and claim the expenses for it, you have a choice, don't claim the expenses and no GCT or claim them and you pay GCT - albeit based on the % of your home used say 1 room = 20% so you would pay GCT on 20% of the gain I presume - something like that
    More detail here https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12207150 ... if they have it right!
    Also if you take in flatmates. Which is an ideal way for getting people onto the property ladder - they can get others in to help with costs.

Labour clearly dont want people to own their own homes

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Also if you take in flatmates. Which is an ideal way for getting people onto the property ladder - they can get others in to help with costs.

Labour clearly dont want people to own their own homes
    What is or is not a family home makes the family home exclusion a nightmare. Near where I live there are plenty of lifestyle blocks bigger than the 4500m threshold. Many have panted their sections with native bush - and to have smaller sections would spoil the environment. Many are newly reitired and would not want the hassle of having to value and apportion costs between exempt and non-exempt areas of their property.

it would be better to have no exemption and then to give a generous threshold to taxpayers.