• Goff is just an idiot

2,147,483,658 100.00%
  • Epic fail for Labour

1,935 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 52 of 101 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Do you think they are crazy enough to give solid weighting to disingenuous advice from property investors FP? The standard household home was never in the CGT equation in any case. And I don't think that would lead to any investor worth their salt, over-investing in the family home, as it would be a waste of good capital. All property is being treated fairly, unless you'd consider not being able to add interest paid and other ownership costs into your annual tax return for your property portfolio.

Other dastardly options for landlords:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...ichardson.html

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...or-labour.html
    In the NZ context, the fact that the principal household home was not part of the TRG’s terms of reference exempts a significant proportion of household wealth. Nothing should have been off-limits. Our political masters would have decided what to ignore in the report anyway. Just as they are going to do with the actual report.

Why shouldn’t those who, instead of investing their equity and the banks money in a house, invest their equity in a business that earns taxable income and employs other people also have their capital gains on their equity exempted?

Why wouldn’t people over-invest in the exempt household residence? It could be more tax efficient (no income tax or capital gains) than KiwiSaver in its current form.

I can see you have the mantra spot-on, MM. It's only fair that the tenants will pay for every last cent of your investment, and more.
    The tenants are paying for a service - why would they not pay for the costs associated with that service. Who else would?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    In the NZ context, the fact that the principal household home was not part of the TRG’s terms of reference exempts a significant proportion of household wealth. Nothing should have been off-limits. Our political masters would have decided what to ignore in the report anyway. Just as they are going to do with the actual report.

Why shouldn’t those who, instead of investing their equity and the banks money in a house, invest their equity in a business that earns taxable income and employs other people also have their capital gains on their equity exempted?

Why wouldn’t people over-invest in the exempt household residence? It could be more tax efficient (no income tax or capital gains) than KiwiSaver in its current form.
    My point is that the household residence isn't such a great investment, on paper. Running a business or property investment portfolio does allow some tax benefits along the way. But I certainly agree that a business has a harder road to success, and wouldn't want to see the marginal tax rate on that gain, unless it was at some quite high threshold, and/or generated over a short time, as Labour proposed years ago.

Guru

My point is that the household residence isn't such a great investment, on paper. Running a business or property investment portfolio does allow some tax benefits along the way. But I certainly agree that a business has a harder road to success, and wouldn't want to see the marginal tax rate on that gain, unless it was at some quite high threshold, and/or generated over a short time, as Labour proposed years ago.
    I disagree in relation to the principal household residence. It is a great investment. Your annual benefit is tax free. By investing in the house it means that you do not have to pay rent out of tax-paid income. You can obtain a mortgage to leverage capital gain or obtain a retirement capital release at reasonable rates, the funds from which enable your purchase of other assets if you want. If there is a CGT and the principal home is exempt, that would be an extra benefit.

Also with asset testing for long-term care, the owner-occupied main home is exempt if there is a spouse not in care. That could mean a substantial nest egg available for the surviving spouse, which may not be available if the couple had invested in financial assets, shares or a business instead and which would not have been exempted from asset testing.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 11-03-2019 at 08:15 PM.

My point is that the household residence isn't such a great investment, on paper. .
    I bought my original residence for $52,000. my Current one is significantly much more than that - and that has been a deliberate plan to buy / sell upwards on the property "ladder". Of course there have been costs along the way. But the capital gain has been huge.

I havent given it a lot of thought yet because I need to see the final CGT policy. But I will look art the option of cashing up some lesser performing investments and trading up to a new "expensive" home and then look at reverse equity loans to release the capital. Who owns the family home will depend on the most efficient tax structure - I may sell it into a company.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I disagree in relation to the principal household residence. It is a great investment. Your annual benefit is tax free. By investing in the house it means that you do not have to pay rent out of tax-paid income. You can obtain a mortgage to leverage capital gain or obtain a retirement capital release at reasonable rates, the funds from which enable your purchase of other assets if you want. If there is a CGT and the principal home is exempt, that would be an extra benefit.

Also with asset testing for long-term care, the owner-occupied main home is exempt if there is a spouse not in care. That could mean a substantial nest egg available for the surviving spouse, which may not be available if the couple had invested in financial assets, shares or a business instead and which would not have been exempted from asset testing.
    In that case, why not do things the normal way, and buy a home first (or get into a leveraged home) and then start a business with the home as security? It would be less flexible and more expensive per week than renting, but maybe it would be better overall, as you say. Would you then think differently about working on that home, constantly improving it with tax-paid income and paying all that interest with tax-paid income, if the capital gain on the home that you also used for business finance security was to be taxed?

Guru

In that case, why not do things the normal way, and buy a home first (or get into a leveraged home) and then start a business with the home as security? It would be less flexible and more expensive per week than renting, but maybe it would be better overall, as you say. Would you then think differently about working on that home, constantly improving it with tax-paid income and paying all that interest with tax-paid income, if the capital gain on the home that you also used for business finance security was to be taxed?
    It may have been normal back in the day to buy a home when still young and then use that asset as collateral for a business. Certainly in Auckland that Avenue is more for the wealthy family member or for those on high incomes and good luck in trying to obtain a mortgage with sufficient funds available to invest in a business in addition to being able to afford the house itself.

A business or shares bought and added to with tax paid income should have the net income taxed and capital gains taxed but an owner-occupied home that is not liable to tax on net imputed rent should also not be liable for capital gains? I do not see the logic or fairness in that.

Yeh i'll have to agree that the banks are not stupid when it comes to lending. They know it's FAR less riskier to lend on residential homes than on commercial (which only have a business focus and having more risk).

I don't buy into the argument of funneling all your $ into your home by buying a mansion size expensive home. That recipe just doesn't work because higher end / pricier homes are far and few and attract less capital gain over the long term. The reality what makes prices go is simply location. The largest house with the largest investment of it's kinds means nothing if it's in a poor location. Even in a new sub-divisions one would be foolish to build extravagant when there's no knowing what the demand will be in 10 or 20 years time (ie. Pegasus area north of Christchurch). While i'm all for home owners to improve the value of their own home, I don't believe CGT exemption on the principle residence would cause many to up-scale their house (especially when it's a common trend for seniors to 'down scale' by selling their 4 bedroom home to a small 2 bedroom 'elderly person unit' type housing). and if you want to get rid of your house by doing a 'reverse-equity' mortgage ; each to their own.

NZ's tax system is not like the US where are no exemption of CGT on the principle residence. But then they're allowed all sorts of goodies like deducting their mortgage interest rate off their income, and capital losses that can be applied forward and back (again something the TWG has not talked about). Therefore, it would be more prudent for NZ to have a more comparable tax system such as in Australia (or UK colonies) where they allow a CGT exemption on the principle residence.

I would not be surprised if Princess Leia is looking for a CGT model like Australia or Canada. The simplicity of NZ's tax system penalises the low and middle class and makes the equality gap wider. I'll reiterate, a simple tax on all people is not just for those that are not able. Those who are disabled clearly have the right to make a decent living and get into their own home without being a rental tenant for the rest of their lives. Those who are more skilled and affluent deserve to pay more taxes but do so by structuring their assets in the form of paying CGT (of course this approach is meaningless if the tax rate on CGT = the person's tax bracket).

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post

I don't buy into the argument of funneling all your $ into your home by buying a mansion size expensive home. That recipe just doesn't work because higher end / pricier homes are far and few and attract less capital gain over the long term. The reality what makes prices go is simply location. The largest house with the largest investment of it's kinds means nothing if it's in a poor location.
    Location, or more specifically future demand is the key to the recipe - and it will help ensure the recipe work

Even in a new sub-divisions one would be foolish to build extravagant when there's no knowing what the demand will be in 10 or 20 years time (ie. Pegasus area north of Christchurch).
    A golden rule is to avoid new subdivisions - simply because you dont know who your neighbours are going to be.

While i'm all for home owners to improve the value of their own home, I don't believe CGT exemption on the principle residence would cause many to up-scale their house
    People will be wise to put their money in places that secure their capital it the most effective way.

(especially when it's a common trend for seniors to 'down scale' by selling their 4 bedroom home to a small 2 bedroom 'elderly person unit' type housing). and if you want to get rid of your house by doing a 'reverse-equity' mortgage ; each to their own.
    All these people are doing is releasing their own capital for their own benefit

NZ's tax system is not like the US where are no exemption of CGT on the principle residence. But then they're allowed all sorts of goodies like deducting their mortgage interest rate off their income, and capital losses that can be applied forward and back (again something the TWG has not talked about).
    Comparing others tax system is only of academic interest - and not part of this governments agenda. They apparently want a "Fairer" system

Therefore, it would be more prudent for NZ to have a more comparable tax system such as in Australia (or UK colonies) where they allow a CGT exemption on the principle residence.
    Other than trade, we dont need a comparable system. We need one that is efficient - like NZ's GST

I would not be surprised if Princess Leia is looking for a CGT model like Australia or Canada. The simplicity of NZ's tax system penalises the low and middle class and makes the equality gap wider. I'll reiterate, a simple tax on all people is not just for those that are not able.
    A tax system should apply equally to all people - that is fair. The more you profit teh more tax you will pay. That is fair.

Those who are disabled clearly have the right to make a decent living and get into their own home without being a rental tenant for the rest of their lives.
    They dont have a right at all. They have an opportunity. As does everyone else.

Those who are more skilled and affluent deserve to pay more taxes but do so by structuring their assets in the form of paying CGT (of course this approach is meaningless if the tax rate on CGT = the person's tax bracket).
    No-one deserves to pay tax. It is simply a burden we must all bear and we should all bear it equally and fairly.

One thing is sure in life - we need a roof over our heads when we stop earning - ie retire.

How is it fair I can put my money into an eventual mortgage free residential property and pay no capital gain as I release that capital. Compared with a renter, who ought to be putting their non-housing savings into a Superannuation, Kiiwsaver or other capital investment scheme , only to be taxed when they release that capital to pay for that roof in retirement

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post

How is it fair I can put my money into an eventual mortgage free residential property and pay no capital gain as I release that capital. Compared with a renter, who ought to be putting their non-housing savings into a Superannuation, Kiiwsaver or other capital investment scheme , only to be taxed when they release that capital to pay for that roof in retirement
    I agree. To exempt the family home from CGT and income tax on imputed rent, whilst subjecting other investments, business, shares and KiwiSaver investments to a CGT and Tax on income earned will make the purchase of a family home the de facto tax efficient pension scheme for those that can afford it. How long would it be before the NZX would close up shop?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 12-03-2019 at 07:31 AM.