sharetrader
Page 75 of 106 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Could it be with so many companies deferring or cancelling dividends this year with Covid and with interest rates at 100 year lows, that retired folks are flocking to the 8% tax free PIE dividends of this group as a way to increase their income. Classic set and forget and get 2% tax free dividend every quarter is extremely attractive !
    Don't disagree with your general synopsis, but Í believe the 8% dividend is a bit misleading - Where the income earned by the company is less than 8%, then the dividend in my view is a partial repayment of capital

Agreed. Analysis of the PIE income statements will make that fairly obvious...' excluded income '...
    Just be cautious that you're not paying for your future dividends up front...
    You need to be careful what you pay to build these portfolios and when to buy in...
    Last edited by SPC; 06-11-2020 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Don't disagree with your general synopsis, but Í believe the 8% dividend is a bit misleading - Where the income earned by the company is less than 8%, then the dividend in my view is a partial repayment of capital
    I agree with your post and the subsequent one immediately above BUT some people will look at the 14% net return average over the last 3 years and accept that while there will be some variability around returns in the future, on average they have reasonable grounds to expect that such a situation will be temporary and therefore of no consequence to them.

That said I would not pay 85 cents for the shares with warrants on issue (future NTA dilution expected exercise price 64 cents) and the ~ 10 cent premium to NTA....but I can understand why someone who is say 80 and needs to supplement their income in the years ahead might. Will they get a better opportunity in the future to buy at a lower premium to NTA, highly likely !
    On the other hand if they wait they won't get a nice big juicy dividend this Christmas to buy their grandkids presents... I guess it all depends upon people's need for income and with elderly folks being offered less than 1% on term deposit before tax and inflation some are probably asking what better alternative is there ? I don't have any other theory on why the share price is at such a premium to NTA.
    Last edited by Beagle; 06-11-2020 at 02:01 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

It comes down to hunt for yield..folks getting desperate for yield. It might look good at first glance but not all yields are equal. The yield has to come from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    It comes down to hunt for yield..folks getting desperate for yield. It might look good at first glance but not all yields are equal. The yield has to come from somewhere.
    I think that's a huge part of this but another aspect people may be thinking about is the managers astonishing ability to consistently outperform the market.
    There was certainly a very happy and contented atmosphere at the annual meeting as people enjoyed a nice lunch reflecting on the astonishing 19% market outperformance last year. Possibly worth noting that the premium to NTA has grown considerably since the annual meeting.

What sized premium to NTA, (if any) will prove to be durable into 2021 ? What do you folks think ? Some food for thought, an old article but nonetheless perhaps a starting point for consideration. https://monevator.com/why-do-investm...-or-a-premium/
    He concludes with I wouldn't quibble over paying a 1-2 % premium to NTA for a good listed fund. I wouldn't either but maybe a little bit higher premium given their remarkably consistent and high outperformance is warranted ? (Same question applies to Marlin and to a lesser extent Kingfish). What premium if any is warranted ?

I'm not sure how to answer that question for myself. I would probably pay 3% for BRM or MLN for their overseas expertise and the diversification and yield that brings to my portfolio but I wouldn't pay the current ~ 13%. Regarding Kingfish I'm happy to back myself to outperform the NZX consistently more than the average KFL has done in the last 3 years (2.5% per annum) so I would be reluctant to pay any premium for KFL units, (but its worth noting that others are).

I'll just throw this out there as a possibility. Maybe a premium to NTA as a percentage is justified based on the average long run outperformance of a fund after managers fees, performance fees and operating costs relative to the index ? Since these three investment teams have been appointed for just over 3 years we have to use the 3 year figure (as opposed to the 5 year average which incorporates a lot of time with the previous fund managers)
    Looking at the last 3 years on average the funds have outperformed the index after all costs on an NTA to NTA basis as follows
    BRM 8.9%
    MLN 9.7%
    KFL 2.5%
    Maybe premiums to NTA at these respective levels for these funds is warranted ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-11-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Investments

As a long term holder of KFL and having first hand experience of at least last 3 warrants issues ...I must say I am most surprised at what's happening at the moment Agree people maybe looking for safe and convenient , regular dividends etc etc but paying 12% over the last reported NAV is not a sensible thing to do . Similarly buying MLN in the market for 1.20 where as One could have got it at 1.08 via warrants on offer at 22 cents plus 86 cents exercise price is just too much over exuberance . Paying so much premium for convenience ...not seen before . Also shows the lack of depth and real understanding of stock markets ...so much arbitrage on offer ...in efficient markets wont happen !!
    Just last year in July when KFL exercised its last warrants @ 1.25 ...market price of KFL was around 1.43 ...NAV around 1.65 ...warrant around 15 cents ...took KFL 4 months to close the NAV to market price gap .
    Will wait to see what happens when recently minted MLN coming to market coming Wednesday bought at maximum 1.08 ...if still people ready to buy MLN at 1.20 then hunt for yield will become the most obvious reason for this new phenomenon seen for the first time in Fisher Fund managed listed PIEs
    IMHO there are other options like ETF of smart shares like NZG with just 0.2% fund charges offering regular dividends without having to resort to excluded income return of own capital as dividends .
    For healthy markets we all need to better understand its ways ...knowing its pitfalls ...whether created or occurring naturally due to in efficiencies in the system
    A burnt investor never returns to market for a long time . Hopefully people know what they doing ...
    Rising tide raises everything so easy to get away with silly mistakes in Bull markets ...but still mistake is a mistake especially if u make it due to lack of knowledge or not doing proper homework ...lol

Some good analysis in the last two posts. Actually I think the current market price is driven by newer entrants..the 'sharesies' buyers?. It may even be a case of forward loading the buy price to see how high it would need to rise to reduce the yield to a bank equivalent.?..not a good idea.
    As a holder of all 3 listed Fisher funds since day one there is no way I'd be buying at these premiums.
    As that irritating young lady who fronts a consumer loans shop on tele reminds us .."there are times to borrow and times to save...you know" (she clearly doesn't).
    So there are times to buy shares and time to sell shares.

Thanks for your thoughts and I remember the KFL warrant exercise arbitrage very well.

To my mind (at least and I accept others will have a different view) the BRM and MLN situations are different to KFL.
    KFL's outperformance on average of 2.5% per annum is not especially notable or material and I would back myself to do better than that, (and have consistently done so over the years), so the benefits KFL brings to me include :-
    1. Diversification of my N.Z. portfolio
    2.Tax free yield.
    3. Regular warrant issues which I back myself to value and take advantage of opportunities to acquire on advantageous terms when they occur.
    4. Shares in lieu of dividend at a 3% discount which further boost my effective yield.
    5. Expert fund manager that is beating the market after fees and costs.

On the other hand BRM and MLN's average outperformance is far more notable.
    Benefits to me are far greater and include :-
    1.Much greater diversification to my portfolio, both funds have a much wider spread of shares than KFL
    2. Both are investing in markets that I don't invest in directly and don't have the time for the research involved
    3. Substantially higher outperformance compared to their benchmark's than KFL
    4. They take care of all the FIF tax hassles which would be very time consuming for me if I was to try and handle overseas investments myself
    5. Tax Free PIE yield.
    6. Regular warrant issues which I back myself to value and take advantage of opportunities to acquire on advantageous terms when they occur.
    7. Shares in lieu of dividend at a 3% discount which further boost my effective yield.

To me the benefits of BRM and MLN are clearly greater than with KFL. Would I pay the current unprecedented premium to NTA with MLN and BRM ? No.
    Would I pay some more modest premium reflecting the advantages to me of these funds in these unprecedented times of extraordinarily low interest rates ? Yes.
    What is the size of the premium to NTA I would pay ? I don't know, I am trying to work that out.

Investments

Some good analysis in the last two posts. Actually I think the current market price is driven by newer entrants..the 'sharesies' buyers?. It may even be a case of forward loading the buy price to see how high it would need to rise to reduce the yield to a bank equivalent.?..not a good idea.
    As a holder of all 3 listed Fisher funds since day one there is no way I'd be buying at these premiums.
    As that irritating young lady who fronts a consumer loans shop on tele reminds us .."there are times to borrow and times to save...you know" (she clearly doesn't).
    Appreciate your judgement and seasoned opinion that U wont be a buyer at these levels ...fully agree ...

Warren Buffett says ...buy when all selling and sell when all buying ...soon markets will find its true bearing .

But markets can be illogical far longer then we can be solvent ...another popular saying ...lol

Cant be out of market in these times when every central bank is trying to print its way out of trouble ...

So challenging times for not only the one looking to invest but also for the one already invested and seeing crazy and tempting prices ...hehe

Really irritating, perhaps that was the idea. (Sometimes really irritating marketing is the most effective)
    Thanks for your post which is the kind of feedback I was looking for.
    You'll remember when these were trading at a deep discount to NTA, (If I remember correctly it was as much as 20% at one point many years ago).

Three questions for you.
    1. Given clear outperformance of the investment teams appointed, (from memory about 3.5 years ago) is so different to the performance before that under the previous teams is some premium to NTA warranted now and would you pay any premium and if so how much ? Would your answer be different if you had a very large term deposit come up for maturity and were offered 0.9% per annum to reinvest it ? (This situation, as I am sure you can appreciate, is exactly what's occurring for many investors)
    2. They have a capital management strategy as you know that buys shares back when they are over a 8% discount to NTA so do you think as a further capital management policy they need a new strategy that sells shares when they are at more than an 8% premium to NTA ?
    (A new policy like this would enhance overall returns for remaining shareholders).
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-11-2020 at 08:49 AM.