sharetrader
Page 48 of 152 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast

Not far off $40, probably the most well managed company on he NZX

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Nearly 15 years ago, 5th post in on this thread is me admitting to owning some MFT.
    As I recall I was poor in those days and owned 3,300 shares bought for about $6,360 including brokerage.

If I still owned them they would be worth $131,340 (a 20 bagger) plus a lot of dividends (the last year $0.56 a share, which is not bad when you bought them for about $1.93 each).

I must have kept them through the GFC when the share price shed more than 50%, but somewhere along the way I sold them for about $10 each and have thus missed out on a compound 24% plus annual return over those 15 years.

Not bought back in since, always thought they were too expensive.

There is a lesson or two there.

Disc: Do Your Own Research & Make Your Own Decisions
    om mani peme hum

I was somewhat late to the party with MFT but picked up 10,000 shares in the thirteen dollars range and have held since. It was a company brought to my attention by an FNZC broker whose colleague had been researching the company. I seldom follow broker recommendations but did in this instance and sunk half of the payout of a takeover in to this one and the other half in to EBO (my pick) of which I already held a useful number. MFT was slow to get going but has turned out well! It's a pity I didn't pick up a few more post the initial purchase. This morning noting that MFT, EBO & AIA (a long term holding) are at all time highs makes for a good start to the day. All three pay reasonable dividend yields based on the original purchase prices too.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    ...... somewhere along the way I sold them for about $10 each ........

That's great Snow Leopard - I bought in at about $10 in 2012: maybe I've got your shares ? Thanks! They have been a reasonable hold and are currently my largest holding on NZX. Great company but, like you say, the shares have been too expensive to buy in the last few years - like many assets unfortunately.

CEO, NZ Shareholders Association

Has just ticked over $40!! very happy with this investment :-)!

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    That's great Snow Leopard - I bought in at about $10 in 2012: maybe I've got your shares ? Thanks! They have been a reasonable hold and are currently my largest holding on NZX. Great company but, like you say, the shares have been too expensive to buy in the last few years - like many assets unfortunately.
    Since I read their book I was looking at the company but only the share price and PE which at first look wasn't attractive so just left it, I think at that time was around $18. Though I missed to check the EPS just in case. Anyway I guess given the track they might be keep going which sometimes makes me think of venture with a small parcel an see from there.

Quote Originally Posted by MauroNZ View Post
    Since I read their book I was looking at the company but only the share price and PE which at first look wasn't attractive so just left it, I think at that time was around $18. Though I missed to check the EPS just in case. Anyway I guess given the track they might be keep going which sometimes makes me think of venture with a small parcel an see from there.

I like the company. I like their attitude. Whether or not they are a good investment at the current sp price, I would guess in 10 years time they will still be a great company to own.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    I like the company. I like their attitude. Whether or not they are a good investment at the current sp price, I would guess in 10 years time they will still be a great company to own.
    That was my feeling after reading their book.

Similar sentiments here.

I bought 1800 at $6.80 in 2007 and have never sold.

My perception of value has changed to a more long term view. Of all the rubbish I've collected over the years, my biggest regret is buying shares that are 'undervalued'.

MFT has always been expensive and I never bought anymore since 2007
    Last edited by lissica; 14-06-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lissica View Post
    Similar sentiments here.

I bought 1800 at $6.80 in 2007 and have never sold.

My perception of value has changed to a more long term view. Of all the rubbish I've collected over the years, my biggest regret is buying shares that are 'undervalued'.

MFT has always been expensive and I never bought anymore since 2007
    Do you remember the research you did at that time?.