sharetrader

Hybrid View

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by arekaywhy View Post
    Guys,

What are your strategies, if any, with regards to reducing the effect of the brokerage fees?

For example, I am using ASB, and the minimum brokerage fee is $30 on trades over $1000, so my strategy thus far has been to make a minimum trade of ~$3000 at a time, thus limiting the brokerage fee to 1% of the trade.

The way I figure is that I accept a 1% loss straight away on the holding. This means that should I wish to sell, I have to make 2% gain just to break even, given the fee on the sell trade.

Anyone got a better idea?
    Sharesies, no minimum fee, brokerage of 0.5%. So on a $100 order you pay fees of 50cents. On a $1,000 order you pay fees of $5. On a $3,000 order you pay fees of $15.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Sharesies, no minimum fee, brokerage of 0.5%. So on a $100 order you pay fees of 50cents. On a $1,000 order you pay fees of $5. On a $3,000 order you pay fees of $15.
    Thanks blackcap, I understand that there are limitations to sharesies though that might limit my options. That said, I do plan to open an account with them and try to take advantage of them, particularly if I want to put money into ETFs on an adhoc basis.

Quote Originally Posted by arekaywhy View Post
    Thanks blackcap, I understand that there are limitations to sharesies though that might limit my options. That said, I do plan to open an account with them and try to take advantage of them, particularly if I want to put money into ETFs on an adhoc basis.
    I could be wrong, but you can't place a stop-loss order with Sharesies; it also takes a bit longer to transfer in/out funds compared to ASB.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I could be wrong, but you can't place a stop-loss order with Sharesies; it also takes a bit longer to transfer in/out funds compared to ASB.
    Ok so that could be a pain in the anus

Plus the annual membership fee of $1.50 a month, up to $3000 portfolio value, then $30 a year flat rate. Still the cheapest option, unless perhaps you are only ever buying/selling much larger amounts at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post