2,147,483,658 100.00%
  • Epic fail for Labour

1,935 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 24 of 101 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast
    Dilettante

Guru

Interesting points. I think Cullen has good points. viz:
    Even though most people in NZ support a capital gains tax, it is generally not a burning issue for its supporters. Also, with the ageing population it is likely that support for a capital gains tax will diminish - oldies being more reliant on investments.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Interesting points. I think Cullen has good points. viz:
    Even though most people in NZ support a capital gains tax, it is generally not a burning issue for its supporters. Also, with the ageing population it is likely that support for a capital gains tax will diminish - oldies being more reliant on investments.
    Most people. Hardly.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Most people. Hardly.
    I think 777 just confirmed Michael Cullen's concern that it might be now or never for a capital gains tax.

Although some of the headlines I've skimmed sounds like the tax working group can only come up with half arsed proposals that are politically palatable.

Don't worry 777 I see Simon Bridges has promised to repeal any capital gains tax.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I think 777 just confirmed Michael Cullen's concern that it might be now or never for a capital gains tax.

Although some of the headlines I've skimmed sounds like the tax working group can only come up with half arsed proposals that are politically palatable.

Don't worry 777 I see Simon Bridges has promised to repeal any capital gains tax.
    He won't need to as IFRC a capital gains tax won't be enacted this term and they won't get a second unless they get away with less than the 5% bar for the other losers. And then that may even be a struggle. Mind you I don't think Simon will be the one having to make the decision.

Permanent Newbie

Mind you I don't think Simon will be the one having to make the decision.
    Definitely if he doesn't win the next election. although he is popping up a lot in the media which is always good for a politicians standing. A bit like Judith Collins was popular in the media for a while but she comes across as a nasty bi*ch to me and maybe one of nationals strong links to china and the Chinese voters in nz.

Dilettante

TWG expected to deliver their recommendations this month https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/109...-it-would-work

Haven't seen much discussion of the most relevant outcome for this forum, which is that CGT will affect all local equity market investors.

It seems like the PIE fund regime will now incorporate a deemed rate of return tax for local equities, much like the FDR regime used for foreign shares.

Meanwhile all shares held on a segregated basis will be subject to a CGT on realised gains.

I guess the implication is you want your growth stocks held in a PIE fund, and dividend stocks held in their own account.

Guru

Well as nothing definite has come from the TWG then it is all speculation on what could happen.

Banned

Well as nothing definite has come from the TWG then it is all speculation on what could happen.
    Exactly and a slow boat to China, that's if Labour get returned to power at the next election otherwise CGT is dead duck.