sharetrader
Page 57 of 144 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast

I know someone who is the perfect example of this. A lifetime alcoholic who has been in care off and on, had alcoholic dementia since their late 60s and is now 80. Has no idea and quite bad dementia now but would still and has grabbed every chance for a drink. Is in a normal care situation and they do serve drinks and all the staff know not to offer but the occasional mistake has been made and they still ask family to bring them alcohol, it never goes away when it is so ingrained into daily life. That said, I don't think they require any extra level of care, it is not locked, the occasional incident of wandering off or getting into arguments but I would say, given I have a lot of family working in these places, nothing out of the ordinary for an 80 year old in care. That said my grandmother lived at home and drove till she was 95 so lifestyle plays a part in the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by mike2020 View Post
    .... A lifetime alcoholic who has been in care off and on, had alcoholic dementia since their late 60s and is now 80. Has no idea and quite bad dementia now but would still and has grabbed every chance for a drink. Is in a normal care situation and they do serve drinks and all the staff know not to offer ......
    Denying a drink to some who has alcoholism and dementia in their 80s. Wouldn't it be best just to let them have a drink?

You really have no idea. Nothing personal just not a clue about it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Denying a drink to some who has alcoholism and dementia in their 80s. Wouldn't it be best just to let them have a drink?
    We also need to think about carers too. If dementia progression can be slowed down by stopping alcohol consumption, then caring for a patient may be easier and more effective too?

It would be very interesting to find out how this is managed. It isn't something I have experienced in my work yet. We have had residents with histories of alcohol abuse in the past. We currently have two recovering alcoholics - who do not drink in the rest home (their choice). Whether they drink off site at all, I don't know. I do know that one of them finds it difficult to be around during Happy Hour, when alcohol is provided. He manages this by staying out of the lounge and has his tea out in the front foyer area instead. Good strategy on his part.

My concern around alcohol related dementia, would be around any potential issues of violence and/aggression, either as a consequence of not being able to drink (withdrawal) OR as a consequence of drinking. Dementia presents enough challenges without the added challenge of alcohol induced aggression.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    We also need to think about carers too. If dementia progression can be slowed down by stopping alcohol consumption, then caring for a patient may be easier and more effective too?

This is already present in retirement villages and has been for many years. My uncle was an alcoholic and had alcohol induced early stage dementia, after having a fall the CDHB, a social worker placed him in a retirement village in Merivale.
    I went and talked to them about his drinking, they said that there was already a significant number of residents that had the same issues.
    They managed them as ordinary residents they were allowed a drink if they wanted, but were encouraged to only have one, at happy hours etc.
    He was allowed to go out walking and often bought back alcohol which he hid in his room. Everyone there knew he had it and he was advised that he could drink but if it became an issue for staff and other residents it would have consequences, fortunately his cognitive ability understood that and within reason he behaved. I did have to go and find him a few times, when he went on benders. He kept those out of the village. When he was no longer physically able to get out he was issued with a glass of medicinal whiskey at night which appeared to settle him and stopped the DT's.
    The staff understood it was an illness and at 86 there was no way that his situation could be changed, he had been an alcoholic since his 40,s. His health improved while in the village as he was eating food instead of spending all of his money on booze, he was cleaner and more social to everyone around him.
    The staff did an amazing job not just with him but with the other problem drinkers, and all residents.
    I think violence and aggression were never in his nature and I hope JustaKiwi that you never need to come across this, do you have other residents who behave violently and how are they dealt with.

Thanks for sharing - very interesting.

Our rest home is rest home level only, but we do get more than a few with lower stage dementia. If they get to the point where they start wandering off-site however, we can't keep them safe as we do not have a locked dementia unit. Those residents have to move to D3 level dementia care.

Violence is not something I have experienced, but aggression definitely is. Usually verbal, but we have had one or two instances of someone with dementia throwing things, raising fists, or pushing their walking frame into staff. Usually this kind of behaviour is caused by frustration, difficulties with communication, and/or fear. Dementia is a bitch.

I think the concern about an influx of alcohol related dementia residents in the future, will also about age - it seems that many may need residential care at a much earlier age - 50s/60s or possibly even younger. A rest home for the elderly is really not the ideal situation for them, but it seems to be the default option. We already have a 30 year age spread with our youngest being 71 and our oldest being almost 105. That already presents some problems as the 71 year old is often bored. Very difficult given staffing levels, to ensure there are activities etc, to meet the needs of such a wide age range.

Quote Originally Posted by Guild View Post
    do you have other residents who behave violently and how are they dealt with.

Hats off to the big players. Impressive.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/12616...uring-lockdown

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Hats off to the big players. Impressive.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/12616...uring-lockdown
    We need to get Ryman to run MIQ

Advanced Member

Consumer NZ has lodged a complaint with the Commerce Commission that villages may be misleading on whether care beds will be available.

Fair enough I thought.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/c...TLWK5TVDUCDMY/