• Goff is just an idiot

2,147,483,658 100.00%
  • Epic fail for Labour

1,935 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 101 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Does anyone know what date the TWG interim report is actually due to be reveled this month?
    I don´t think there is a fixed date, just "before the end of September". The Government already has the interim report so I assume as soon as they´re comfortable with answering all the questions it´s release will prompt, they will release it !!
    Apparently they´re not as enthusiastic about CGT as they were when they started this process !!

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Well that's one good thing to come out of it ! Tho the devil will no doubt be buried in the detail...

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Well that's one good thing to come out of it ! Tho the devil will no doubt be buried in the detail...
    It'll be about trade-offs and political spin, like:

"Hey Michael, we can't have a CGT in our first term, so if you want to keep sucking the hind tit you'll park that for consideration when we get a second term, but in the meantime I want you to legitimise all the new taxes and tax hikes that we put in place when we said there'd be no new taxes, and find a few more that we hadn't thought about. There's a good lad."

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    It'll be about trade-offs and political spin, like:

"Hey Michael, we can't have a CGT in our first term, so if you want to keep sucking the hind tit you'll park that for consideration when we get a second term, but in the meantime I want you to legitimise all the new taxes and tax hikes that we put in place when we said there'd be no new taxes, and find a few more that we hadn't thought about. There's a good lad."
    Sadly you´re probably right on the mark there Baa Baa

Dilettante

This from Sir Michael Cullen today : "We have come out with a more general conclusion that taxation has only a limited effect on the housing market and the [housing] problem remains one of supply."

Grant Robinson could have taken a momentary glance at countries that have CGT to come to this conclusion, rather than this very expensive and waste of time (I suspect) Group.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This from Sir Michael Cullen today : "We have come out with a more general conclusion that taxation has only a limited effect on the housing market and the [housing] problem remains one of supply."

Grant Robinson could have taken a momentary glance at countries that have CGT to come to this conclusion, rather than this very expensive and waste of time (I suspect) Group.
    NZ is one of the few OECD countries without CGT. They must therefore be wrong and we are right. ?
    As for housing, the market is always right so how come we have a supply problem?
    The old saying the rich get richer and the poor get poorer certainly applies to NZ

westerly

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    NZ is one of the few OECD countries without CGT. They must therefore be wrong and we are right. ?
    As for housing, the market is always right so how come we have a supply problem?
    The old saying the rich get richer and the poor get poorer certainly applies to NZ

westerly
    Indeed; it's a tough life.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Indeed; it's a tough life.
    Not for the right

westerly

Guru

Not for the right

westerly
    Once again the ridiculous assumption from the left that all the rich(so called) vote to the right.

Dilettante

westerly
    The point is that Labour has been selling a half arse form of CGT as a fix for the housing market, or rather high house prices. They are starting to realise that is complete humbug. I have a couple of rentals in a country where there is a 20% CGT and that country has exactly the same problems with housing becoming out of reach for young people, mainly due to Air BNB and lack of supply in the biggest city. Sounds familiar ?

For the record, I am not against a comprehensive CGT if it was part of a restructure of the tax system, but I am against a half arsed attemt that is nothing more than extra tax grab.