sharetrader
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

From the archives Aaron chart showing SAN ormalised earnings (taking out the bad stuff) and forecasts from yahoo finance

Good old analysts eh --- always assuming things will get better and back to where they should be ---- in this case better than average

But thats modelling for you things always go well ... if the underlying assumptions come to fruition

Next year forecast is 36 cents a share ..... on this basis share price will be 360-400. As you can see even at 325 today a fair biot of the improvment is already priced in ... on last years earnings should only be 240-280 in my opinion

Check back in a years time and you can tell me that of course all this was going to happen

One thing about the high return period for SAN -- only decent returns when the shareprice collapsed or went down a fair bit ..... just shows always try to buy cheap to get above normal returns .... but in SAN case I would hazard a guess that when SAN was down in the dumps so were other decent companies and buying these at the same time I would hazard anither guess and say the returns fron those would have been better than from SAN

I see yahoo analysts summary have forecast growth over the next 5 years at 8.7% pa

Using sparky's formula on the pgw thread this 'implies' SAN should be worth 393

the sparky method says san overvalued at the moment

Default Modern factory trawlers

A question for those knowlegable about fishing;

Would Sanford be better off giving the Koreans and their rust-bucket slave ships the flick and investing in high-tech state of the art factory trawlers?

Boop boop de do

Marilyn

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    A question for those knowlegable about fishing;

Would Sanford be better off giving the Koreans and their rust-bucket slave ships the flick and investing in high-tech state of the art factory trawlers?

Boop boop de do

Marilyn
    HI MM,
    I know a little about fishing so hope I qualify to try and respond to your very worthwile question. There is no question that the Koreans and other foreign flagged vessels have served an important purpose over the years in developing NZ deepwater fisheries, especially for the lower value species.
    But the time to see rust bucket Korean vessels where crew is maltreated and made work in unsafe and unacceptable conditions, is well and truly over and should not be accepted in NZ. These are now being phased out over the next 3-4 years, the Koreans all but gone already.

But I do believe that there will still be an opening for a small number of well run foreign crewed/owned vessels to catch some species that may not be commercially viable for NZ vessels with Kiwi crew to catch.
    But China is buying an increasing amounts of all types of seafood at better prices than we have had in the past and this may well make these species more commercially viable in the medium term future.

The second part of your question is a good one. Our industry is run by a management system which is very similar to Iceland, where fishing is of similar importance to agriculture here in NZ.
    The Icelandic industry is without a doubt a World leader in techology with a very up-to-date fleet, a fleet that makes a lot of money for both the companies and the share of catch paid crew. There has been tendency in the NZ industry for 20 years now to drive down salaries of fishermen and the result is a serious lack os skills in the industry to man a fleet of new and up to date vessels. Sanfordīs current deepwater vessels are over 25 years old which is ancient in this game. But it is a NZ industry wide problem and needs a complete change in attitudes and directions from industry tops.

Unfortunately this attitude and aversion to new technology, new investments and high salaries is not limited to the vessels. Our fish factories are also completely outdated with most of the work being done manually, such as fish filleting by hand.
    You look at fish factories in Iceland and Norway where you see only a handful of people and everything is automated.
    But along side tIcelandīs booming fishing industry, they also have booming tech and manufactoring industries with companies for example making high tech fish processing, fisheries research and fishing gear products that are sought after worldwide and demand premium on prices

So I suppose my long winded answer (sorry for that) is that yes, the NZ fishing industry needs to step up a few gears. We have a great resource that is relatively well managed with a stable management system but we need to utilise it much better for the good of the country and the people that work in the industry.

The " Kiwi ingenuity" approach simply does not work in todays World !

Thanks for your informative reply Iceman.

I have heard reports that a red meat processing factory was able to improve their yield by 3% - 4% switching from manual to automated processing.

If such gains are able to be carried over to fish processing then a decision to automate would seem a good idea.

Boop boop de do

Marilyn

While I am dissapointed in the actions of Sanford and its crew member it seems that no evidence of actual discharge of oil was accepted by the jury. The nub of the offence was a failure to process bilge water through an oil seperator and to falsely claim that they had done so in the records.

I wonder if there was an element of excessive prosecutorial zeal on the part of US authorities similar to that seen in the Kim Dotcom debacle?

In Icemans post above he commented that Sanfords deep water vessels are over 25 years old. Was the age of the vessel and its equipment a factor in the offence?

Boop boop de do

Marilyn
    Last edited by Marilyn Munroe; 12-01-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: grammar

Permanent Newbie

A clean record for a number of years prior to this one incident makes me think there might have been a bit of an overzealous approach by the US authorities.
    Still a fine like that should ensure management will take the need for environmental protection seriously in the future. bad news for shareholders though

It jsut seems to happen too often ..... when things get a bit tough the good old standards seem to go out the window for the sake of a better bottom line

These sort of things start from the top .... the culture of the organisation seems to change and and you can only blame the leadership

So the embedded 'sustainability' standards weren't really a this is how we do do things around here .... no matter the expense ... seems it was more like lip service

Qantas seems a good example where the the old standards and pride in its fleet have all gone awry .... shareholder interests (ie more money) is the imperative now .... even if their planes are now not the safest in the world like they used to be

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    A clean record for a number of years prior to this one incident makes me think there might have been a bit of an overzealous approach by the US authorities.
    Insert Tui ad...