sharetrader
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Norwest View Post
    Yep, it really was a steal and I'm glad I locked such a large portion in at this rate last month.
    I managed to get in the nick of time too. Stress free for 5 years whatever happens
    Last edited by Entrep; 12-05-2021 at 11:41 PM.
    BTC went to $69K and now $16K. Good thing I’ve been warning you since it was $3K! I was right!

Anyone know why ANZ won't offer a competitive rate for 5 yr?

Not only am I fixed for 5 yrs but I'm short the 90 day bank bills.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by smpl View Post

What are they offering you ?
    Note they all pushed the 3-5 year rates up slightly recently and reduced the 1 year .

3.59% and that was in mid-March before the long end went up and when the median rate offered across all banks was 2.99%. Now the median rate is around 3.3% and I'm assuming their rate will be the same if not higher. I argued that other banks (ASB) could do better and they would not improve their price which is what they've usually done in the past.
    Last edited by smpl; 11-05-2021 at 08:06 PM. Reason: i wanted to add more

Advanced Member

3.59% and that was in mid-March before the long end went up and when the median rate offered across all banks was 2.99%. Now the median rate is around 3.3% and I'm assuming their rate will be the same if not higher. I argued that other banks (ASB) could do better and they would not improve their price which is what they've usually done in the past.
    I think the rules prevent me from advertising , but send me a PM if you would like me to help. ( at no cost to you )

They're 100% calling your bluff that you won't move... every second person threatens that now days and hardly any of them move.

Banks are a lot more stringent around matching compared to what they have been in the past.

There is a "negotiated rate" senior bank managers can offer, anything more requires their managers approval and they deal with big figures every day - your application was likely only given a passing glance - if it even got to that level.

If you owe the bank $100 that's your problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, that's the bank's problem.

stoploss: I sent you a message.

Norwest: I was told that I don't have a bank manager any more. I did state that I would move to another bank and even that wasn't enough to get them to negotiate. If If I do start the process with another bank, do you think there is a chance they will reach out to me instead?

I had something similar with ANZ ... they got me with sharp 1yr fixed rate + 5k Cash(from ASB) .. then when it came up for re-financing they wouldn't match the better rates advertised elsewhere ... I called their bluff and moved to Westpac .... so far so good WP have been pretty darn good to deal with ... will be re-financing again next month ... I see SBS 1yr fixed term 2.19% ... will be pushing to see WP match this rate plus some cash to stay (have had a couple of payments to date to stay)

Have only been 1yr Fixing for many years ... I personal don't see high rates coming anytime soon ... far too much debt held by the masses would break the system if seen a spike higher .. personally think banks pushing up the longer end a pure play to get debt holders to sign up for longer rates ... I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see short term rates above 3% this decade its just the way the western world has all gone japanese ...
    Last edited by JBmurc; 11-05-2021 at 11:29 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Norwest: I was told that I don't have a bank manager any more. I did state that I would move to another bank and even that wasn't enough to get them to negotiate. If If I do start the process with another bank, do you think there is a chance they will reach out to me instead?
    Ultimately it depends on how much cash you have tied up with them (loans, businesses, insurances, cash etc) whether they will offer you a personal manager or not.

Great to see Heartland bank floating rate to 1.95% p.a. and 1-year fixed to 1.85% p.a. .... hope this puts some more pressure on the likes of Westpac to lower rates
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu