sharetrader
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Property Shares

Default Property Shares

Advice please. I'm thinking of buying shares in a Listed Property company for a dividend return and hopefully some share growth. Can someone advise me why I shouldn't be buying Precinct Property, as it's to me it looks like it has some impressive buildings with long term tenants and future expansion plans with the new Commercial Precinct development in the Auckland CBD. Had some thoughts on Stride Property as well but confused over the demutualization plans. Any advice is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Advice please. I'm thinking of buying shares in a Listed Property company for a dividend return and hopefully some share growth. Can someone advise me why I shouldn't be buying Precinct Property, as it's to me it looks like it has some impressive buildings with long term tenants and future expansion plans with the new Commercial Precinct development in the Auckland CBD. Had some thoughts on Stride Property as well but confused over the demutualization plans. Any advice is welcome.
    Hi Kiwi - have a look through this thread as a starter for 10 - I've found it quite helpful

http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...roperty-Trusts

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Hi Kiwi - have a look through this thread as a starter for 10 - I've found it quite helpful

http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...roperty-Trusts
    I like LPTs and hold ARG, GMT, KPG, PCT, PFI, and STR. I like them all and buying a spread gives the benefit of exposure to different sectors. e.g KPG for retail, PFI for industrial/wholesale, PCT for office. They are all PIEs. Augusta is not a PIE if that's important to you.
    They should all show reasonable growth as well as steady income - keeping in mind everything carries a risk.

Many thanks Mickey and Fungus Pudding, always good to hear other investors opinions.

Look up MFL NZ....Very happy to have been invested with this superannuation company..Apart from a bad patch 2007 2009 all is good...

Thinking again I guess MFL has now been overtaken by Kiwisaver....However my returns with MFL over a long period have been very good in a era where many of these companies just disappeared or fraud or returns were shameful...

As always, I mention VHP. Investments in hospital property with massively long average lease - something like 16 years or so. Growth very good, dividend very good. PIE.

Reviving a sleeping thread... VHP's property manager has muddied the waters as to the profitability for shareholders. I'm unsure whether KPG is a good 'hold' in a market downturn as it depends on retail shopping for income from it's properties. Whaddya think?

percy

In any retail downturn it is usually poorly located stores that suffer the most.
    KPG's Sylvia Park [Auckland] and Northlands Mall [ChCh], are prime Malls with very strong retailers.
    A case of the weak getting weaker and the strong getting stronger.
    In Nelson you see this happening with Richmond getting stronger and Nelson Central getting weaker.
    Therefore I would see any retail downturn having little affect on KPG,who usually manage to set their rentals when retail conditions are bouyant.

Thanks for the update on VHP. Still looks ok, just an annoyance. Though personally I now use retirement villages as my property play. No PIE, but better returns in growth. Obviously lots of exposure to govt policy risk.