sharetrader
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: sharesies.nz

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Wow. So much bitterness. You’re the 2 year old who doesn’t want to share the playground.
    Another personal attack, why do you not stick to the issues?
    Last edited by ratkin; 23-04-2020 at 07:35 AM.

I cannot see what the problem is? if you look at the traffic on the sales and buys to me it looks like the Sharesies investors are doing quite a bit of buying. In order to test it out I joined up and made a few buys...its very simple..well designed...operates quickly and buying on market my buys were literally filled (and showed) instantly. Admittedly this was on a fairly quiet performer but when I looked at the sales you could see that 90% of those showing were Sharesies people (smaller quantities). My take on this is, firstly buys, though probably smaller individually, actually added up to something more substantial when you put them together. AND this was enabling the largeish sell order to be fulfilled, even if it was in smaller chunks. Dare I say it but sharesies is possibly helping the market from falling further. See below the DB sale chart for Augusta a minute ago....all look like Sharesies
    Recent Trades
    Price Volume Time Cond
    91 2 12:26
    90.5 49 12:17
    90.5 25 12:17
    90.5 28 12:17
    90 16 12:00
    90.5 2 12:00
    90.5 108 12:00
    90.5 22 11:59
    90.5 11 11:48
    90.5 44 11:46
    90.5 220 11:29
    90.5 146 11:25
    90.5 11 11:24
    90.5 55 11:07
    90.5 28 10:57

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post

If technology had made it the concept of minimum parcels redundant then its quite likely we wouldn't be having these problems would we?

Although I do agree that NZX have miscalculated regarding the impact Sharesies has had so ultimately it is their fault and not Sharesies. Exchanges should be able to cope with much larger volumes than their daily averages
    But I still think its worthwhile some cantankerous old rissole like me pointing out where the problem (probably) arises from.

And I've also pointed out - sometime before the Corona crash - that all these tiny investors signalled the end of the bull market. Oddly they are staying around tho so clearly we have a lot further to fall.
    Last edited by BIRMANBOY; 23-04-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    I cannot see what the problem is?
    The problem is that online brokers are very slow in updating trade status , as in hours or overnight in some cases.
    The brokers are blaming NZX systems and now we can see NZX accept that responsibility.

NZX have confirmed It is a transactional capacity issue which is presumably brought on by a large number of smaller retail investors that have entered the market for various reasons recently facilitated mainly by Sharesies who operate with no minimum transaction size.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

So if we agree that it is an NZX issue, which hopefully they will address, can we give Sharesies and Sharesies investors a break? There is room for all of us, and we all have a part to play, regardless of the size of our pay checks, wallets or portfolios.

The problem is that online brokers are very slow in updating trade status , as in hours or overnight in some cases.
    The brokers are blaming NZX systems and now we can see NZX accept that responsibility.

NZX have confirmed It is a transactional capacity issue which is presumably brought on by a large number of smaller retail investors that have entered the market for various reasons recently facilitated mainly by Sharesies who operate with no minimum transaction size.

No I absolutely understand that the capacity is compromised, but as I mentioned earlier this is probably something that will be in the process of being fixed. Its the period in between that is frustrating for investors. As a website builder (but not programmer), I know that it takes time to get things changed and improvements made...and ..all at the time when the s**t hit the fan. One would assume that when the agreement was made between Sharesies and NZX, the NZX engineers worked on the assumption that they could build into the system gradually as the levels grew. Unfortunately, the triple whammy of bear market, covid-19 and huge influx of new investors from Sharesies has buggered the "graduality" of it. Important to recognise that the Sharesies is not to blame however. I think we can all recognise that more investors is good overall and hopefully improvements will be forthcoming soon.

www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

So if we agree that it is an NZX issue, which hopefully they will address, can we give Sharesies and Sharesies investors a break? T
    not really !!

coz the NZX has made a mistake where the impact goes beyond themselves - after all this is a regulated monopoly provider
    The people who pay most of the fees in the industry generated through transactional costs (I.e the decent sized players using online brokers or even standard retail brokers ) are being penalised with delays all so that a lot of penny and dime transactions (generating hardly any fees for anybody) can be dealt with.

It doesn't seem quite fair to me.

However let me make it quite clear that I don't personally care myself all that much ! Because I day trade using a CFD provider and invest using an online broker where minute by minute prices are not so imperative that I can deal with it using limits etc. Hence why I have chastised Sharesies for causing the problem I have also suggested day traders use a different mechanism , one that is more able to provide instantaneous results.

all the best justakiwi, I sincerely am glad you can buy securities (but lets be real - the cost of you doing so is actually being paid for by larger investors)

<subject closed from me>

I am sorry I am costing you money. Sincerely.

all the best justakiwi, I sincerely am glad you can buy securities (but lets be real - the cost of you doing so is actually being paid for by larger investors
    Probably best.

<subject closed from me>

Guru

not really !!

all the best justakiwi, I sincerely am glad you can buy securities (but lets be real - the cost of you doing so is actually being paid for by larger investors)

<subject closed from me>
    Maybe the cost is being subsidised. But that is because the NZX have set the rules the way they have set them. If you don't like it don't play in their pool. Seems like you have done that already with your CFD positions.
    I too have done that, now using Sharesies more than I would use Direct Broking. If everyone left Direct/ASB and went and used Sharesies it would be problem solved and everyone benefits. It is Direct Broking and ASB that need to adapt or they will become the relics that got taken over by digital disruptors. If the NZX does not allow them to adapt then they need to lobby the NZX or change their own business model. Direct, 20 years ago, was the disruptor themselves and which I was part of instigating. They may need to evolve again.

https://businessdesk.co.nz/article/r...0J67oBQeN5gn7c

Refreshing to see somebody also sees this as a positive.

https://businessdesk.co.nz/article/r...0J67oBQeN5gn7c

Refreshing to see somebody also sees this as a positive.
    article also says

"
    it was institutional traders buying and selling big-name companies like Auckland International Airport and A2 Milk that were the biggest drivers of volumes."