sharetrader
Page 10 of 129 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Hard to understand why you bother with all that trivia. The only important part of all that waffle is in the last paragraph. There is no fairness in 5 per cent of taxpayers paying a third of all income tax. 'It is wrong that if a person's income doubles from $50,000 to $100,000 their tax bill triples'.

You obviously agree with that as a policy; many do, but don't for one minute argue it is fair.
    Get over it . Life is'nt fair
    The 5% possibly consume more resources, like drive a BMW as against a Susuki Swift or live on a lifestyle block rather than the back seat of a car.

westerly

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    Get over it . Life is'nt fair
    The 5% possibly consume more resources, like drive a BMW as against a Susuki Swift or live on a lifestyle block rather than the back seat of a car.

westerly
    Nothing to get over. Life indeed isn't fair, which doesn't worry me. You shouldn't waste your time worrying about it either. Better to spend your time going for what you want.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 21-06-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

I was hoping to educate people on a common misconception about a progressive income tax rate, which is once your income is high enough and you are on 33% it is only every dollar over $70,000 that is taxed at 33% we don’t expect David Hisco to pay more than 10.5% on his first $14,000 same as everyone else as it wouldn’t be fair to expect him to pay any more than anyone else.

Class dismissed.
    I did not bother answering because to me it is pretty obvious and self evident. Everybody knows that everyone pays tax at 10.5% on the first $14k etc. Well I presumed everyone did. Most people earning over 70k know that they do not pay 33% on the whole lot only the marginal amount.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I did not bother answering because to me it is pretty obvious and self evident. Everybody knows that everyone pays tax at 10.5% on the first $14k etc. Well I presumed everyone did. Most people earning over 70k know that they do not pay 33% on the whole lot only the marginal amount.
    You might be surprised at the number of people who do not appreciate this fact. But once you do appreciate it, progressive taxation doesn't sound as unfair as David Seymour and FP make it out to be.

Legend

You might be surprised at the number of people who do not appreciate this fact. But once you do appreciate it, progressive taxation doesn't sound as unfair as David Seymour and FP make it out to be.
    Anyone with half a brain knows the tax rates are progressive. You must know some very strange people. You and I have a different understanding of the words 'fair' and 'unfair'. It can only be fair in my eyes if we all pay the same percentage on earnings, just as we pay the same percentage of tax on our groceries. Or is that 'unfair'?

Permanent Newbie

Anyone with half a brain knows the tax rates are progressive. You must know some very strange people. You and I have a different understanding of the words 'fair' and 'unfair'. It can only be fair in my eyes if we all pay the same percentage on earnings, just as we pay the same percentage of tax on our groceries. Or is that 'unfair'?
    FP you never answered the quiz I can only assume you were stumped by the questions or weren't aspirational enough to do the maths.

Are you turning into a troll?? We have been over how GST is a regressive tax many times and I find you very strange not being able to comprehend something so basic. But you are entitled to your beliefs even if they are not based on any sort of reality. That is why having strong ideological beliefs is so good, it saves a lot of time not having to think.
    Last edited by Aaron; 21-06-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Permanent Newbie

As we were talking about tax, I thought this was interesting.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opi...in-new-zealand

Legend

FP you never answered the quiz I can only assume you were stumped by the questions or weren't aspirational enough to do the maths.

Are you turning into a troll?? We have been over how GST is a regressive tax many times and I find you very strange not being able to comprehend something so basic. But you are entitled to your beliefs even if they are not based on any sort of reality. That is why having strong ideological beliefs is so good, it saves a lot of time not having to think.
    I gather you would consider it 'fair' for a school teacher to wander around the playground, confiscating marbles from the kid who had the biggest bag, and giving them to the kids who only had a small bag.
    And no doubt you consider the kid with not many marbles should be able to buy more at a lower price than the kid who had more because he had won them, or inherited them from his big sister.

Advanced Member

As we were talking about tax, I thought this was interesting.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opi...in-new-zealand
    Yes, that is interesting. Doesn't seem right either. Thanks for posting.

Permanent Newbie

I gather you would consider it 'fair' for a school teacher to wander around the playground, confiscating marbles from the kid who had the biggest bag, and giving them to the kids who only had a small bag.
    And no doubt you consider the kid with not many marbles should be able to buy more at a lower price than the kid who had more because he had won them, or inherited them from his big sister.
    This might be a bit simplistic but if I understand you correctly the teacher is the government, the kids are the taxpayers and the marbles represent wealth and the playground society in general. Assuming kids without marbles died in the playground if they had no marbles I could probably cope with the teacher taking some marbles from the kids with a lot of marbles to make sure the kids without didn't die. What are you advocating FP let the kids without marbles die?