sharetrader
Page 1543 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 543104314431493153315391540154115421543154415451546154715531593 ... LastLast
Results 15,421 to 15,430 of 16077
    Advanced Member

Any way, we are all having a good old chin wag, some are taking the opportunity to gnash their teeth at each other, but where will it go?

The media, as is their job, will report on every murmur that comes out of any National source over the next few days.

But to the general public, so what?

I liken it to the All blacks in training, or Joseph Parker building up over 3months for his next fight.
    Few of the public are there.

But come the next test match, or title fight, and suddenly most are there via TV or in person.

Bring on the title match in 2 years time.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Any way, we are all having a good old chin wag, some are taking the opportunity to gnash their teeth at each other, but where will it go?

The media, as is their job, will report on every murmur that comes out of any National source over the next few days.

But to the general public, so what?

I liken it to the All blacks in training, or Joseph Parker building up over 3months for his next fight.
    Few of the public are there.

But come the next test match, or title fight, and suddenly most are there via TV or in person.

Bring on the title match in 2 years time.
    Yep - there'll be a good few blows and a knock-out or two from both corners of the ring before the final bout. And for the statisticians, the law of averages suggest there could be two members turning their toes up before the next election.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Yep - there'll be a good few blows and a knock-out or two from both corners of the ring before the final bout. And for the statisticians, the law of averages suggest there could be two members turning their toes up before the next election.
    Maybe I've got it all wrong, there could be some sin bins along the way!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Maybe I've got it all wrong, there could be some sin bins along the way!
    Sin bins are for the naughty - the rule-breakers, and those who argue with the ref. There are none of that sort in parliament.

Advanced Member

Sin bins are for the naughty - the rule-breakers, and those who argue with the ref. There are none of that sort in parliament.
    Mr Mallard thinks they have their ducks and drakes lined up!

Quiet Observer

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

If this makes me a swing voter, then so be it ... without us democracy would not work because politicians would not have a need to perform.

Really? To say "democracy wouldn't work without swing voters" must be another glib, throwaway line. One that perhaps an aspiring populist politician would love to dispense.
    Surely, with just a little bit of rational & objective observational skills, one can observe that a democratic political system can function without the need of swing voters!

But therein your statement highlights the significant challenge that we all face, but you & other swing voters especially.

Whilst the political system we have is heavily orientated towards & revolves around "party politics", we will continue to have an environment of unhealthy compromises. Furthermore and as we know, the NZ voting system is run through MMP. A system which not only survives on, but breeds continual compromise & backroom deals.

Regardless of the label on the packaging (so, it's certainly an issue not unique to National) the multiple issues that "party politics" creates will prevail. A couple of examples include:

- Different factions in a party trying to screw the scrum in their favour, rather than maintaining some sort of "True North", as determined by the party membership. Basically a hijack of the party brand & apparatus. We are certainly seeing some of this at the moment in National. With the two factions in the Waka paddling in quite different directions, the constituents scratch their heads, wondering what principles the party actually steadfastly stands for. Instead a flip-flop policy regime reigns.

- MP's told to vote along "party lines" in the house, even if the MP's constituents (the folk they are actually meant to be representing!) are clearly opposed to the proposed legislation. As we know, the Labour Party is notorious for this arrogant attitude, with party policy being that an MP should "NEVER cross the floor".

- Politicians doing deals with politicians from other parties. For the perceived benefit (read survival) of the party, rather than in the genuine interests of the constituents. "Give us confidence & supply in the House, and we will assist you in doing X (even though our party doesn't really like the idea of X)".

Having lots of swing voters is arguably a symptom of a poorly functioning system. Symptomatic of confused voters that feel they need to compromise, conflicted & compromised politicians, and quite likely a constitutional framework that is lacking substance.

So in the end what do we get?
    Packaging that constantly changes, lots of air inside the packet, and product that looks nothing like what the packaging actually promised!
    Last edited by FTG; 26-11-2021 at 05:49 PM.
    Success is a journey AND a destination!

Condescending much. I'm not in the least bit "confused." I know exactly what I am looking for in a political party/government. When I find the party that comes closest to meeting my expectations, they will get my vote.

At this point, I do not know which party that will be.

Quote Originally Posted by FTG View Post
    Symptomatic of confused voters that feel they need to compromise, conflicted & compromised politicians, and quite likely a constitutional framework that is lacking substance.

Legend

National do not have a Twyford, a Parker, a Williams, a Davis, Jackson and some of the others who are so forgettable I can't remember them! There is no chance they will be as hopeless.

Nearly forgot this one .........caucus dilemma copy.jpg

Guru

del ------
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 27-11-2021 at 01:16 AM.

Nearly forgot this one .........caucus dilemma copy.jpg
    And Poto (loo) Williams, minister of police & associate housing minister.

Clueless, incompetent and dangerously pro-criminals.