sharetrader
    On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    I dont think HGH will be having too much trouble raking in the depositor gold at the moment with comparable tiny rates offered by their competitors for smaller terms and a system awash in Govt Loot, with limited avenues for spending aside from "the so called deemed Essentials"

Their deposit rates pages are only near Rabo - and as for the other players - HGH & Rabo now offer a very generous multiple of those on offer from many or bulk of the majors & other banks.

Hate to say it - Kiwibank (aka The People's Bank) now offer what seem to be the most miserable rates, after having been severely razored down in recent days
    There is more than interest rates as an incentive to put your term deposit in Heartland bank at stake here. The big four banks have just had their credit ratings downgraded in NZ.

https://www.interest.co.nz/banking/1...otch-alongside

There was a very ominous sentence right at the end of the Fitch press release.

"We will review the remaining Australian and New Zealand banks rated by Fitch in the near future."

Heartland bank is currently BBB. A downgrade to BBB- they could handle. But anything more than that Heartland is no longer an 'investment grade' deposit option. There are some entities that are only allowed to put their funds into bonds and banks with a BBB risk profile and nothing lower. IMO the deposit position at Heartland is now under threat in a way it was not a week ago.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 09-04-2020 at 07:52 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    There was a very ominous sentence right at the end of the Fitch press release.

"We will review the remaining Australian and New Zealand banks rated by Fitch in the near future."

Heartland bank is currently BBB. A downgrade to BBB- they could handle. But anything more than that Heartland is no longer an 'investment grade' deposit option. There are some entities that are only allowed to put their funds into bonds and banks with a BBB risk profile and nothing lower. IMO the deposit position at Heartland is now under threat in a way it was not a week ago.

SNOOPY
    Heartland needs to move fast and like AIA & KMD, raise capital while the market is still supportive of capital raisings at decent prices.

Don't wait for the sp to tank on a ratings downgrade and then, try and raise capital!

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Heartland needs to move fast and like AIA & KMD, raise capital while the market is still supportive of capital raisings at decent prices.

Don't wait for the sp to tank on a ratings downgrade and then, try and raise capital!
    For some likely cut in or no divies and a hand out for more cash will be painful.

But an opportunity to get even more cheap shares
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    For some likely cut in or no divies and a hand out for more cash will be painful.

But an opportunity to get even more cheap shares
    I'm not sure if I would equate a lower price with "cheap" and I'd be very hesitant to put money into a company which is both highly leveraged (as are all banks) and needs to raise more capital than can be effectively procured from cancelling its dividends for the year.

While I'm too cheap to pay for the privilege of getting behind the paywall, seeing a headline like this so early in the cycle bodes ill for lenders in general: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12323544

Think last cap raise (not counting drips) was at $1.70

How the mighty have fallen
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
    I'm not sure if I would equate a lower price with "cheap" and I'd be very hesitant to put money into a company which is both highly leveraged (as are all banks) and needs to raise more capital than can be effectively procured from cancelling its dividends for the year.

While I'm too cheap to pay for the privilege of getting behind the paywall, seeing a headline like this so early in the cycle bodes ill for lenders in general: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12323544
    Times like this, a subscription to the NZ Herald, even for just one month or two, will be the cheapest investment you can make.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post

[edit] Removed full article. ASB received the most requests for interest only/mortgage holiday, followed by westpac, kiwibank, BNZ, TSB
    Last edited by clip; 09-04-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Times like this, a subscription to the NZ Herald, even for just one month or two, will be the cheapest investment you can make.
    Yep, $1 per week for the first 4 weeks.

Edit - Clip beat me to it.
    Last edited by Cyclical; 09-04-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclical View Post
    Yep, $1 per week for the first 4 weeks.

Edit - Clip beat me to it.
    More than ever, we need to support the media - especially when they are making a real effort at investigative and pro-active reporting and journalism.

There are some decent columnists and journalists at the Herald now, I must say.

Dilettante

We should remember and respect the expressed wishes (quite some time ago) of the owners of ST that we do not post articles from behind paywalls at other media. It is illegal.