sharetrader
Page 168 of 326 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178218268 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 3258

Quote Originally Posted by allfromacell View Post
    the risk of further spread in the village is very low.

Should be virtually nil after 3 weeks

So the person has been in hospital for 3 weeks since, at least it shows Metlife was able to contain the spread as no one else has since fallen ill. I wouldn't try paint it as something positive for the company but the risk of further spread in the village is very low.

RIP.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...ntract-covid19

Was public knowledge 23 March - over 3 weeks ago.

Guru

So the person has been in hospital for 3 weeks since, at least it shows Metlife was able to contain the spread as no one else has since fallen ill. I wouldn't try paint it as something positive for the company but the risk of further spread in the village is very low.

RIP.
    I hope their family is being treated well too.
    Older people definitely need to keep up self isolation after we leave levels 4 and 3. That is great if they managed to stop further infections. Many retirement villages were ahead of the curve when it came to taking care of unit occupiers and residents.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 14-04-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    I hope so! Remember though, that the sector price their units/apartments as a percentage of real estate prices in the locality. Lower housing prices will translate into lower prices for the retirement sector, IMO.
    100% correct

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    glad i sold this morning might tank tomorrow
    I would like to know how many MET residents have been tested for SARS-COV-2 .
    The company has stated no one else has tested positive
    .In general we are not testing people unless they have been in direct contact AND have symptoms.
    It looks as if most people with Covid-19 infections may not have symptoms
    As Jacinda says(I think) absence of proof is not proof of absence

I am just as confident in MET's procedures as any other of the listed companies and its well worth noting that the VAST majority of MET's units are independent living.
    I'll leave that to you to decide for yourself if that's an advantage but I note the infection clusters so far in the country have come from close quarter rest home situations.
    Last edited by Beagle; 15-04-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    glad i sold this morning might tank tomorrow
    Looks like bull.... has been banned so his ramping down (and ramping up) days are curtained if not over?

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    They have a good track record in my opinion. Nobody and no institution gets every decision right but they're certainly one of the more astute institutions in my opinion.

I see their average sale price was $6.85 and their average buy price buying back in was $3.94 over the last few months.

If ACC join in the hunt there's every chance you're chasing a feed in the right place
    Well played by ACC!

Looks like ACC is sitting on a nice profit of $14m from their trading activity - that's another 3.6m plus MET shares they can buy at around current levels to build up their stake again.

They were sitting on 6% before they sold down below 5% in January.

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-websit...743/315955.pdf

Yeah I was thinking the same thing Balance. There's no Bull with their approach, they just got on and did the business and took the counter position of the arbitrage players and have done handsomely well.

At the end of the day companies in this sector derive most of their profits from the capital gain and resale of their units. They all operate in the same market with different versions of business models aimed at different segments of the retirement market but the one constant is that the majority of their profit comes from the development and churn of properties.

You can either pay 2.6 times the property value with the big name of RYM or 0.55 times the asset backing with MET. I recently looked at the most recent evidence of the 5 year growth rate of underlying earnings of these two which are at opposite ends of the value spectrum and what I found was very interesting.
    MET's average growth rate over the last 5 years met the much targeted 15% average compound growth rate that RYM set themselves, whereas RYM itself had not and had achieved an average underlying growth rate of 14% per annum.

I think those numbers speak for themselves in terms of which company is likely to outperform the other going forward.
    Last edited by Beagle; 15-04-2020 at 11:02 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Veteran novice

14% v 15%. You're not splitting hairs there, are you, Beagle?