sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Good that you escaped without another engine failure and more damage to another wing.
    Speaking of coming back from trips, one wonders (seeing as there's been no changes on 4traders regarding profit forecasts), how analysts coming back from holiday's will react to events in recent weeks with AIR. Been some pretty significant developments since most departed for their holiday break. Probably too much to ask them to actully be proactive and make adjustments to their forecast of their own volition. I suspect they'll wait until the company itself gives guidance lower with the half year result in late February and then simply follow along with company guidance. Can't expect them to re-crunch their numbers over the holiday break and restate what "blind freddy" can see already and what's now starting to be reflected in the SP can we ?

Best guess another 50 cents to come off... over time...but perhaps best to not wait until the analysts tell you that lol.
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-01-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Veteran novice

Air NZ ranks well for fuel efficiency on trans-Pacific flights.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-1...ction=business

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Air NZ ranks well for fuel efficiency on trans-Pacific flights.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-1...ction=business
    Cram some more seats in then they could be the leader.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Closed the week below $3 and low of the day as well. Punters obviously wanting to see at weeks end

Bad sign

Does $2.50 beckon
    Starting to look like we're headed down there again mate.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Cram some more seats in then they could be the leader.
    Heh! Cullen Airlines could lead the table for incidence of deep vein thrombosis per passenger/klm.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Closed the week below $3 and low of the day as well. Punters obviously wanting to see at weeks end

Bad sign

Does $2.50 beckon
    Hopefully it gets oversold so I can buy in some more, thought the uptick to 3.60 was a bit overcooked. The HY result won't show the full picture imo because of the hedge and the crude prices started to rise over the range in December.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    Heh! Cullen Airlines could lead the table for incidence of deep vein thrombosis per passenger/klm.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Almost all of then are doing it now, cramming in more and more passengers into smaller and smaller tighter spaces. Customers are possibly their own worst enemies here as they're the ones driving the demand for more efficiencies. As an example earlier this week through Flight Centre AIR are desperate enough to be advertising return flights to Europe for as low as $1,399 for travel later this year. I got to thinking that its always traditionally cost about $2,000 - $2,500 to fly to Europe over the last 30 or 40 years economy class. Prices have therefore in inflation adjusted terms never ever been cheaper, so perhaps its airlines who are their own worst enemy as they pass on all of the savings of more efficient aircraft and more compressed seating configurations.

I am sure we all long for the good old days when there was heaps of legroom and flying was a romantic experience with truly great inflight service.
    Interestingly I went on too the Reserve Bank's inflation calculator to compare a $2,500 economy class flight in 1978 forty years ago with what we should in theory be paying if the real cost hadn't changed and the figure is ~ $16,500. Emirates will fly you return business class to London for less than half that. My thoughts are that the good old days remain its just that you have to pay a proper price to enjoy them. Maybe people who value their health and want far less chance of DVT need to ante-up with their travel budget a bit ? AIR's business class is a lot more than Emirates to London, go figure on that one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Interestingly I went on too the Reserve Bank's inflation calculator to compare a $2,500 economy class flight in 1978 forty years ago with what we should in theory be paying if the real cost hadn't changed and the figure is ~ $16,500. Emirates will fly you return business class to London for less than half that. My thoughts are that the good old days remain its just that you have to pay a proper price to enjoy them.
    A one-way flight to London with a stop-over in Hong Kong cost me $1200 in 1986 (and I didn't have much money back then so there wouldn't have been any cheaper options).

Business / first class has a greater carbon foot print per passenger

Do away with this segregation and cram a few more passengers into that space wouldmake them more fuel efficient and lower carbon emissions (per passenger)

dont think likes of Raz would agree
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Business / first class has a greater carbon foot print per passenger

Do away with this segregation and cram a few more passengers into that space wouldmake them more fuel efficient and lower carbon emissions (per passenger)

dont think likes of Raz would agree
    Same applies to so called premium economy doesn't it mate. I say so called because some airlines premium economy is no better than standard economy of a few years ago before all this "sardine can type space" philosophy took over the airline world.
    Last edited by Beagle; 18-01-2018 at 02:34 PM.