sharetrader
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by dln View Post
    Expect to pay multiples of the purchase price to keep that V10 maintained.
    The only other option with the air suspension and rear difflock is the V8, and feeding that currently is looking expensive too.

Have recently got a diesel Land Rover Discovery (09, very last of the model 3's off the line).
    Was comparable in price to a typical 90's Jap 4wd diesel (which are ridiculously overpriced for what they are), has half the k's and has been religiously dealer serviced since factory.
    Excellent on-road and off - very happy.
    Remains to be seen how maintenance costs go - mechanicals seem bulletproof - electricals may be a bit iffy in time ....
    "has been religiously dealer serviced since factory."
    This is another way of saying , heaps has gone wrong with it and the dealer has had it every other month to fix something ......

IMO

Could go for a size 12,underwired full suspension ,sports model with a c cup,and quick release,turbo support shift.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    "has been religiously dealer serviced since factory."
    This is another way of saying , heaps has gone wrong with it and the dealer has had it every other month to fix something ......
    Indeed.
    Although in this case mostly just scheduled servicing, and it also came with records and receipts for *everything* done (tyres, wiper blades(!), awning fitment...), all date and km stamped, including all the common expensive failure items that my research had pointed to, all having been replaced by qualified staff, relatively recently.
    First time I'd ever seen such fastidious records for a vehicle and I would have likely not bought it, or would have offered a substantial amount less, without this.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by dln View Post
    Indeed.
    Although in this case mostly just scheduled servicing, and it also came with records and receipts for *everything* done (tyres, wiper blades(!), awning fitment...), all date and km stamped, including all the common expensive failure items that my research had pointed to, all having been replaced by qualified staff, relatively recently.
    First time I'd ever seen such fastidious records for a vehicle and I would have likely not bought it, or would have offered a substantial amount less, without this.
    Keep us updated !!!

@FM What does your "off roading" entail?
    That will probably narrow down what sort of 4wd system and ground clearance will do the job.

Hyundai Santa Fe from 2014 onwards or Kia Sorento from 2015 onwards would be the pick of the all-rounders in my opinion. Essentially they're the same car. Get the diesel 2.2l version. They drive well on road and can handle off-road and towing just fine too. Good fuel economy, plenty of bells and whistles with a more european feel so they look decent too.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMorocco View Post
    Hyundai Santa Fe from 2014 onwards or Kia Sorento from 2015 onwards would be the pick of the all-rounders in my opinion. Essentially they're the same car. Get the diesel 2.2l version. They drive well on road and can handle off-road and towing just fine too. Good fuel economy, plenty of bells and whistles with a more european feel so they look decent too.
    Yes we are waiting on a new 2022 Kia Sorento 2.2D to turn up ... will sell or trade our present 2015 Premium Sorento(pretty much same till 2020).. great powerful SUV not great off-roader.... gravel snow roads fine..not rock hopping
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Yes we are waiting on a new 2022 Kia Sorento 2.2D to turn up ... will sell or trade our present 2015 Premium Sorento(pretty much same till 2020).. great powerful SUV not great off-roader.... gravel snow roads fine..not rock hopping
    Good longevity on these Korean 2.2l diesel engines too by the looks of things. Kind of surprising that the Koreans would make a good diesel but they seem to have done it. I came across this video on youtube of a guy putting a Santa Fe through its paces off-road in Australia. He appeared to manage ok considering the Santa Fe is definitely not an off-road beast like a Landcruiser, Nissan Patrol or Mitsubishi Pajero. From 3:00 - 5:00 minutes in the video shows him going up and down a pretty rough looking trail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtYqOCtWJEU

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMorocco View Post
    Good longevity on these Korean 2.2l diesel engines too by the looks of things. Kind of surprising that the Koreans would make a good diesel but they seem to have done it. I came across this video on youtube of a guy putting a Santa Fe through its paces off-road in Australia. He appeared to manage ok considering the Santa Fe is definitely not an off-road beast like a Landcruiser, Nissan Patrol or Mitsubishi Pajero. From 3:00 - 5:00 minutes in the video shows him going up and down a pretty rough looking trail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtYqOCtWJEU
    Yeah great motor ... was very impressed by are present one and new one seems to go even better only few more Kw in power but much nicer 8 speed trans

To think the latest Sorento can do 0-100km 6.5sec .. Heaps of passing power
    Last edited by JBmurc; 16-03-2022 at 10:09 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

I think its important to describe the extent to which one wants to go off road. Mrs B can't really make her mind up on this.

In my opinion, for most folks wanting to engage in the occasional drive on some friends farm, going along back country gravel roads, up mountain roads to ski fields or driving along the beach these are perfectly adequate.

Essentially the brief of this thread, mid sized all rounder SUV type with moderate off road capability and excellent on road manners is what Mrs B wants. I am trying to steer her towards a Toyota Rav 4 adventure https://www.toyota.co.nz/new-car/rav...YAV-NM1-6X3-20 - getting supply is going to be a big problem. Useful off road 5 year warranty with cheap fixed price servicing at Toyota.

Another well credentialed alternative in my opinion is the Subaru Outback https://www.subaru.co.nz/showroom/outback Looks like a pretty handy bit of gear to me and well priced and very well specified. I like the Tan leather option in the top spec model. Either this or the Rav 4 adventure is where I would be headed as first two ports of call for a test drive if anyone has any demonstrators in stock to evaluate.

Another option might be a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk https://jeep.co.nz/vehicles/cherokee- Not so sure about the quality control around the Jeep and the modest 3 year warranty speaks for itself in terms of the confidence they have in their own product.

If you don't really need any off road capability the field opens right up and there's oodles of others contenders. We've owned a Hyundai Sante Fe and Honda CRV in the past and both were pretty useful bits of kit but there's all sorts of other possibilities.
    Maybe google mid sized SUV comparative tests and do some reading. Here's one such comparative test https://www.drive.com.au/drive-car-o...dium-suv-2021/
    Last edited by Beagle; 18-03-2022 at 01:57 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine