sharetrader
Page 441 of 1722 FirstFirst ... 3413914314374384394404414424434444454514915419411441 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,410 of 17212

Quote Originally Posted by nextbigthing View Post
    I see TSB are offering ten year mortgages at 5.89% I think it was.
    Yes, pretty compelling offer for investors / homeowners looking to lock in one of their biggest costs...just as well HNZ doesn't compete in that market space

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Yes, pretty compelling offer for investors / homeowners looking to lock in one of their biggest costs...just as well HNZ doesn't compete in that market space
    I still don't actually know what HNZ does or what sort of bank it is. I only invested because of the noise on this thread. Has worked out well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    I still don't actually know what HNZ does or what sort of bank it is. I only invested because of the noise on this thread. Has worked out well so far.
    Not sure if trolling but if not...

Missed by that much

I notice it isn't one you picked in the Stock Picking contest.
    115 Bobdn WHS SPK GNE TME CNU

Banned

I'm sure many of us could identify with this going back a year or two, think Snk/Peb/Xro/ATM etc etc, at least you listened to good noise and the noise didn't cost you big dollars like it did some of us back in those days of naievity and hype PS-Im not saying theres anything wrong with any of the stocks above (Except Snk) its just when caught up in a period of hype you end up paying far too much for a stock and sit on big paper losses for years to come with no divvys or interest and eventially having to sell and turn those big paper losses into actual losses.
    Last edited by couta1; 07-02-2015 at 07:09 AM.

Dilettante

Assuming you are not joking, I am very surprised that you wouldn´t take more care after reading the predicament you described in post 4416 !!!

Fair point Iceman but HNZ is a small percentage of my portfolio although, at 2-3%, not insignificant. I lost $3000 in 1987, all I had.

Thanks for the link Roger but too late for research. I thought I'd just trust a bunch of strangers on the internet and have a flutter. As Couta points out, one can be drawn in by what is said on these forums.

Janter, yes should have put it in the stock picks but my 5 picks are a reflection what I own most of.

KiwiGecko, no not trolling. I can just be impulsive sometimes and honestly I have thought long and hard about some stock purchases and it hasn't always worked out anyway. HNZ paid nice dividends and still seemed cheap when I bought it at 1.14. I liked the idea of owning a little bank like HNZ and a big Australian bank like ANZ which is 8% of my portfolio and which I bought at it's 52 week low last month and is now getting close to reaching it's 52 week high. But for me that's just good luck rather than management of course and who knows what's going to happen. All I knew is that the NZ dollar was high, ANZ seemed inexpensive, pays nice dividends, and offers some imputation credits. I'll tell you in 10 years how that investment worked out. In the meantime, I don't have to worry about death crosses, blue crosses, or gold crosses.

I should also point out that a big chunk of my investing is through managed funds e.g. Superlife and Devon Funds. These two companies offer me a lovely combination of active and passive investing and gives my portfolio much needed diversity. Devon's Alpha Fund has returned me 20% pa over the last few years. The most important thing about my managed funds is that the money is locked away and it restricts my love of impulse buying!
    Last edited by Bobdn; 06-02-2015 at 11:15 PM.

percy

Fair point Iceman but HNZ is a small percentage of my portfolio although, at 2-3%, not insignificant. I lost $3000 in 1987, all I had.

Thanks for the link Roger but too late for research. I thought I'd just trust a bunch of strangers on the internet and have a flutter. As Couta points out, one can be drawn in by what is said on these forums.

Janter, yes should have put it in the stock picks but my 5 picks are a reflection what I own most of.

KiwiGecko, no not trolling. I can just be impulsive sometimes and honestly I have thought long and hard about some stock purchases and it hasn't always worked out anyway. HNZ paid nice dividends and still seemed cheap when I bought it at 1.14. I liked the idea of owning a little bank like HNZ and a big Australian bank like ANZ which is 8% of my portfolio and which I bought at it's 52 week low last month and is now getting close to reaching it's 52 week high. But for me that's just good luck rather than management of course and who knows what's going to happen. All I knew is that the NZ dollar was high, ANZ seemed inexpensive, pays nice dividends, and offers some imputation credits. I'll tell you in 10 years how that investment worked out. In the meantime, I don't have to worry about death crosses, blue crosses, or gold crosses.

I should also point out that a big chunk of my investing is through managed funds e.g. Superlife and Devon Funds. These two companies offer me a lovely combination of active and passive investing and gives my portfolio much needed diversity. Devon's Alpha Fund has returned me 20% pa over the last few years. The most important thing about my managed funds is that the money is locked away and it restricts my love of impulse buying!
    I am pleased Devon has performed so well for you.
    I am glad you understand your own limitations for impulse buying.
    I find Sharetrader fantastic.I get a lot of information and new ideas and good advice from other posters.
    I even find it makes me clarify my thoughts before posting.
    However, if I am going to lose money,or make money, I like to understand the business very well before I invest in it.
    Good research results in good returns,so I think it is most important to do your own research,and not be too influenced by what you read on internet chat sites.
    Last edited by percy; 07-02-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Missed by that much

I lost $3000 in 1987, all I had.
    A lot of us who were investing back then lost heaps. On paper I lost ~$10k, but that was'nt a true reflection as shortly before the crash I pulled ~$20k and bought a new car. Most of us were expecting a correction, it was just the sheer size that caught most by suprise. Those who had investments in companies that were actually producing (Fletchers, Forest Products, Waitaki NZR etc) still came through the far side with some assets. Those who invested mainly in financials and investment companies are the ones who lost the most.

I believe that the same would happen again in the event of another major crash. Those companies that actually produce goods and/or services would survive, while those that rely on simply moving money would be the ones most affected.