sharetrader
Page 66 of 213 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166 ... LastLast

Takeover at $1.17 per share.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Takeover at $1.17 per share.
    Well done to those who took a punt

Hope longer term holders come out of this fiasco better off.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

I think shareholders can count themselves as extremely lucky someone else wants try and de-flea this pup. The other thing is those people with Tower policies might now have an owner capable of properly capitalizing the business and perhaps even better still a company that might treat their policy holders claims in an ethical and more reasonable manner.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I think shareholders can count themselves as extremely lucky someone else wants try and de-flea this pup. The other thing is those people with Tower policies might now have an owner capable of properly capitalizing the business and perhaps even better still a company that might treat their policy holders claims in an ethical and more reasonable manner.
    I'm not so sure about that Roger. Tower has quite a bit of strategic value. Suncorp might yet offer more than $1.17 now that someone has put their balls on the table. Fairfax is basically a value fund and Prem Watsa (Fairfax CEO) has an amazing track record so they no doubt see plenty of value at $1.17. I still think Tower is worth c. $1.50+ as a clean company (acknowledging they are far from clean right now).
    For Suncorp taking out Tower makes sense as they get another 5% market share and Youi aside make the NZ insurance market an effective duopoly alongside IAG. I wouldn't discount a competing bid of maybe $1.30 a share but depends if Suncorp has the appetite - don't think the CC would allow IAG to bid but the NZCC are weak so you never know...

Advanced Member

I agree another bidder emerging is a real possibility thinking of buying some more

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Question Couta running his no risk scheme on this one

Well, a bolt out of the blue. I did not see that coming.

Varying degrees of probable profit for post 8-Sep buyers.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I think shareholders can count themselves as extremely lucky someone else wants try and de-flea this pup.
    I agree Roger , this one was in trouble. even more of a sell now.
    Last edited by peat; 09-02-2017 at 11:21 PM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by Arbroath View Post
    I'm not so sure about that Roger. Tower has quite a bit of strategic value. Suncorp might yet offer more than $1.17 now that someone has put their balls on the table. Fairfax is basically a value fund and Prem Watsa (Fairfax CEO) has an amazing track record so they no doubt see plenty of value at $1.17. I still think Tower is worth c. $1.50+ as a clean company (acknowledging they are far from clean right now).
    For Suncorp taking out Tower makes sense as they get another 5% market share and Youi aside make the NZ insurance market an effective duopoly alongside IAG. I wouldn't discount a competing bid of maybe $1.30 a share but depends if Suncorp has the appetite - don't think the CC would allow IAG to bid but the NZCC are weak so you never know...
    I suppose anything is possible but the true depth of the black hole that is the remaining claims in respect of the Canterbury earthquakes and now the Kaikoura ones is anyone's guess.
    I would imagine Suncorp's appetite for expansion would be somewhat blunted by their recent financial performance and experience with the shaky isles http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU170...+February+2017 and IAG already have a hugely dominant market position so while I agree the commerce commission are very weak, surely they're not totally pathetic ?...but then again they allowed Z to buy Caltex's interests which I think was a real shocker of a decision so you never know do you !

I think this is a sell, take the money and run just in case one of the approvals required under this takeover isn't forthcoming. I guess some will hold for a while in the hope of a competing takeover offer so perhaps waiting for a few weeks to see if one emerges isn't without its merits.
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-02-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Arbroath View Post
    My crystal ball worked - Suncorp enters the fray at $1.30. This could get very interesting as Fairfax have the right to match Suncorp....let the games begin.