sharetrader
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Electric future

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I happen to think wind turbines are a blight on the landscape. ....
    Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    I couldn't disagree more!
    And I agree with both of you.

I like the way they have them in Austria: None permitted on ridges, and generally away from the skyline. There are often one or two in industrial areas in the cities, like the waterfront in Vienna, andlarger wind farms on farmland behind forests. We are going to see more wind farms here so lets put them in places where they won't be seen from main highways or tourist routes.

AWOL

X
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Don't need slots

Formula E
    All very exciting, shame about having to use fossil fuels to generate the electricity, make the cars, get the population to the event and clean up afterwards.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Whatever you shovel needs a consistent and reliable supply. Like coal. We have a thousand years worth sitting in the ground. Or oil - still seems to oodles of the stuff. Both of which are demonstrably "cheap".

Unlike solar which in christchurch only shines 9 hours a day in winter, or wind which is unreliable, or tidal which goes slack during peak periods. Even hydro is unreliable and dependent on rain/snowfalls - unless we get more climate change going which will create more of the wet stuff.
    Different parts of the world and New Zealand will have a different mix of sources.

Would you build a solar plant in Christchurch? Well of course not. But you could certainly run a cable or two to a hydro station nearby. One which had a lake big enough to store (say) five years of rain, rather than one. An economy of scale?

For Wellington, possibly a heat exchanger to capture the hot air from Parliament - supplemented by methane from the *compost* from the same source.

As for coal, well all that soot just plays merry h*ll with your washing. Not a favourite at all.

Mix and match according to what's available.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Imagine it - the South Island being NZ's Texas!
    Given New Zealand's enthusiasm for environmental protection, I rather suspect it may end up more like the Niger delta.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    We are going to see more wind farms here so lets put them in places where they won't be seen from main highways or tourist routes.
    Just like a german tourist taking a crap on a side road - Some of us prefer the non - touristed areas to remain unspoilt

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    And I agree with both of you.

I like the way they have them in Austria: None permitted on ridges, and generally away from the skyline. There are often one or two in industrial areas in the cities, like the waterfront in Vienna, andlarger wind farms on farmland behind forests. We are going to see more wind farms here so lets put them in places where they won't be seen from main highways or tourist routes.
    Personally I'm a fan of the Danish model. Especially the ownership structures.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Minerbarejet View Post
    Im seeing F1 turning into slot cars.
    There is pretty much no overtaken now so they may as well be on tracks.

IMO

Played a couple of rounds of Golf at Makara about 35 years ago loved the place! Off track a bit from NZ but maybe of int.
    Ive held ORE Orocobre (ASX) for years(has its own thread). First brine operation in about 15 years; in Olaroz Argentina. Has had many problems but is nearly at full production but not at nameplate yet ; producing about 12,000 tonnes lithium this year. Getting re US$10,000 to $14,000 tonne atm. Last i looked cost was re c$3500 tonne but think its higher now. latest problem is the weather! S/P down again atm due to a 30 year severe winter slowing evaporation and delivery of soda ash (essential in the production process). The local Jujuy govt have holding in the project.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 23-06-2017 at 10:25 PM.

IMO

https://reneweconomy.com.au/china-co...-system-77919/

Electrochemical storage system

"Regardless, the project is impressive. The Luneng Haixi Multi-mixed Energy Demonstration Project is made up of 200 MW of solar PV, 50 MW of concentrated solar PV (CPV), 400 MW of wind energy, and a 100 MWh energy storage system, all connected to one another and unified and connected to the grid."

Assuming EVs don't get quashed by lobbyists or some other force, i wonder where most of the money is to be made: mining battery minerals, or filling them up.