sharetrader
Page 48 of 207 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast

Thread: KMD - Kathmandu

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    They won't be coming during an economic downturn with an FX cross at 96 cents or, Lord forgive me saying, even closer to parity...
    Moosie don't you know skiing and snowboarding are addictions, they will come alright but will probably drink less beer when they get here.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I tend to agree mate. This health kick I'm on is basically getting out there and doing power walking 45-60 minutes quick walking 5-6 days a week and avoiding sugar and all forms of known extremely fatty food like Cheesecake and Ice-cream chocolate e.t.c., (lost 5 kg's since Christmas and very good for dealing with the stress I'm dealing with in regard to my daughter). Now I've got to thinking quite a number of times that one of those fancy hydration backpacks might be a good idea as this fast walking is thirsty work.
    So purely for the sake of a random exercise I just popped onto the FCO (Fishing camping and outdoors website), my local store is 100 metres away from my nearest KMD store and I see they have 2 litre hydration packs on sale for $27
    http://www.fco.co.nz/online-store/ca....aspx?id=20406. For the sake of comparison I then jumped on the KMD site and there's are $80 on special, probably better but unlikely I'd be able to tell the difference. While i was on the KMD website I had a quick look around at some of their other pricing which also worried me. As a purely random sample this sort of price disparity would worry me if I were a KMD shareholder. Every Tom, Dick, Harry and Roger would go to the FCO store wouldn't they or buy one on trade me for even less ?
    Roger, here's a 3 litre hydration pack from Torpedo7 for $27, if you don't mind buying from a 'tired old brand"

http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/D...hydration-pack

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I don't know.I feel the "3 sales a year" model is poor.
    Customers today are very savvy,and if your products do not stand up to being "good" value at "fair" prices you face extinction.
    Good honest post mate. I don't know either. Good gear, I don't think there's any question about that... but you don't buy Mercedes-Benz's brands in tighter economic times do you !!
    The other thing is if you do, then you probably don't buy three times a year. I once bought a real good quality pair of boat shoes from Timberland for $300, and they're such good quality they've lasted and lasted, now five years old and wearing them today but its not like I felt compelled to go back again and again and perhaps that's the nub of the issue with KMD...relatively expensive "treat gear" you buy now and again when you're feeling good about your finances or want to treat yourself / someone else. In tougher economic conditions prevailing in Australia I'd imagine the average consumer would buy a substitute branded product unless they really "believed" in the brand.
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-01-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Roger, here's a 3 litre hydration pack from Torpedo7 for $27, if you don't mind buying from a 'tired old brand"

http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/D...hydration-pack
    Thanks mate, looks good and 3 litres too...big old dog's need a decent sized drink...might even walk further now

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Good honest post mate. I don't know either. Good gear, I don't think there's any question about that... but you don't buy Mercedes-Benz's brands in tighter economic times do you !!
    Yes you do. And that 's the point as I see it.People will pay for quality ie a Mercedes-Benz ,but if their other car is a Toyota,and it performs better than the Merc,then Mercedes-Benz are in trouble.People will go without, to buy the best,but only if it is "good" value at a "fair" price.

percy

What do I mean good value at a fair price.?
    Lets think of greeting cards.You can pay $1 or $5.99 for a very nice card.
    Yet, when buying a card for some one very special you may find "just" the card you want for $9.99.It is something out of the box.It is lovely and is "good" value at a "fair" price.
    When I am away from home, and wanting to buy my lunch, I watch where the workers go,as they know "good" value at a "fair" price.!!! I follow them. Always works!!!
    Last edited by percy; 16-01-2015 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    What do I mean good value at a fair price.?
    Lets think of greeting cards.You can pay $1 or $5.99 for a very nice card.
    Yet, when buying a card for some one very special you may find "just" the card you want for $9.99.It is something out of the box.It is lovely and is "good" value at a "fair" price.
    When I am away from home, and wanting to buy my lunch, I watch where the workers go,as they know "good" value at a "fair" price.!!! I follow them. Always works!!!
    You're as cunning as a wily old fox mate. I just skim read through the first 20 pages of this thread. Compulsory reading for anyone thinking of buying. My thoughts are that retail is a bloody tough gig and its getting harder, this thing is cyclical and the trend is down. This stock appears to be good value but my thoughts are that this is a classic "value trap" Earnings could get hammered in 2015 and 2016 as the Aussie economy gets tighter and tighter. I will avoid like the plague !!!
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-01-2015 at 06:13 PM.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Footsie View Post
    I could never see what the attraction was here. You've had two players, being Cameron and private equity squeeze all the value they think they can extract from KMD in the last 5 years. On top of that you have a retail environment which is soft plus increased competition in this leisure/outdoor market.

Not too mention that i think everyone has got their head around this "sale" business and that the retail price in KMD is a joke. THe sale price is the retail price and if you are dumb enough to buy there outside of the sales then you deserve whats coming.
    Posted 05-08-2010.
    Was spot on then,and is spot on today.
    Another poster I miss.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Moosie don't you know skiing and snowboarding are addictions, they will come alright but will probably drink less beer when they get here.
    No way would Ozzies drink less. They will just wear last seasons ski clothes - sorry KMD.