sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Just show me where it is stated that anybody selling after three years must be an investor? Anybody who intends to make money with buying and selling is a trader. Ask IRD l ; No bright line on shares ;

But again - we deviate. If you want to continue this discussion, please put it into the relevant forum.
    This is particularly relevant to OCA. Trading in OCA has its own peculiarities.
    Last edited by bottomfeeder; 29-09-2023 at 12:16 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    Maybe one day
    But until then (buying companies outright), you're at mercy to the share price. Not what you think it should be, but what it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Just show me where it is stated that anybody selling after three years must be an investor? Anybody who intends to make money with buying and selling is a trader. Ask IRD l ; No bright line on shares ;

But again - we deviate. If you want to continue this discussion, please put it into the relevant forum.
    think your deflecting from the fact that any value investor that did there homework correctly would have sold in 21 knowing that future cashflows would be less in the future.

changing your mind on a stock is allowed
    one step ahead of the herd

I may be repeating myself but the run up to 1.61 in 2021 was from my personal perspective entirely based on the drop in interest rates and the corresponding rise in property values, almost a no brainer ftom about September 2020. You can see the inverse effect over the last 18 months. I can see the cycle repeating again, maybe not as fast or dramatic but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Azz View Post
    But until then (buying companies outright), you're at mercy to the share price. Not what you think it should be, but what it actually is.
    "Mercy" to the share price lol. Having an irrational drunk on the other side of the transaction is of benefit to me. When private transactions occur, they happen at reasonable prices since the seller is almost always fully aware of what their business is worth.

It's the nature of these auction markets to often have irrationally low prices like OCA, JXN. Similarly, often prices are irrationally high like NVDA.

Banned

"Mercy" to the share price lol. Having an irrational drunk on the other side of the transaction is of benefit to me. When private transactions occur, they happen at reasonable prices since the seller is almost always fully aware of what their business is worth.

It's the nature of these auction markets to often have irrationally low prices like OCA, JXN. Similarly, often prices are irrationally high like NVDA.
    "irrationally low" "irrationally high": you're living in a fantasy world; a world where your SUBJECTIVE share price differs from the actual share price. You're gonna go broke.

wow big dumps going on .......... run for the hills sailor rob is capitulating
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by Azz View Post
    "irrationally low" "irrationally high": you're living in a fantasy world; a world where your SUBJECTIVE share price differs from the actual share price. You're gonna go broke.
    I think you ought to study the history of the stock market. There are endless examples of absurdly priced companies that fool many people into buying due to hype and ignoring fundamentals. Personally I believe (so does Bloomstran - you'd be wise to follow his advice) that Nvidia draws parallels to Microsoft in 1999 with its high P/E ratio, hype, and absurd growth assumptions built into the price. I think Nvidia will go down in the history books as one of these absurdly priced companies where countless people lost a sh1t ton of money.

Quote Originally Posted by mike2020 View Post
    I may be repeating myself but the run up to 1.61 in 2021 was from my personal perspective entirely based on the drop in interest rates and the corresponding rise in property values, almost a no brainer ftom about September 2020. You can see the inverse effect over the last 18 months. I can see the cycle repeating again, maybe not as fast or dramatic but who knows.
    It's well known that NZ equities are highly (negatively) correlated to bond yields, specifically the 10 year government bond rate.

I remember a couple of years ago UBS saying the r-squared was something like 60%.
    Reason why a lot of the hand-wringing on pages like this about share price movements is total nonsense.

Banned

I think you ought to study the history of the stock market. There are endless examples of absurdly priced companies that fool many people into buying due to hype and ignoring fundamentals. Personally I believe (so does Bloomstran - you'd be wise to follow his advice) that Nvidia draws parallels to Microsoft in 1999 with its high P/E ratio, hype, and absurd growth assumptions built into the price. I think Nvidia will go down in the history books as one of these absurdly priced companies where countless people lost a sh1t ton of money.
    Here's some history: Idiots said that ("absurdly priced" "hype") about Apple.

Let's see what happens with Nvidia. Let's see what happens to the short sellers. Let's wait and see, shall we. Pretty simple.