sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by FatTed View Post
    The only contraindication to vaccination with the Pfizer jab is anaphylaxis to the vaccination. To be clear we need as many people vaccinated as possible, 15% of the population are under 12, we need 5 year old and upwards to get vaccinated, awaiting FDA report later this month. Also to get the job done properly we all need a third vaccination 6-9 months after the second one.
    What’s more dangerous, the jab or Russian roulette, and they are giving it to our kids.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    There are some other legit reasons one might choose not to have the vaccination. We have a gentlemen in our rest home who is turning 105 at Christmas. He chose to pass on it, and I feel that is a legitimate decision for him. We have another resident who has had negative reactions to various vaccines in the past, so she too has chosen not to have it. Again, a legitimate reason for not having it.

Every other resident has had both doses.

My concern is visitors. Down the track, are we going to check visitors vaccination status, and insist that they always wear a mask and continue to only visit their family/friend, in their rooms - forever? Vaccinated visitors to have the freedom to visit anywhere in the home, and no need for masks?
    Sure those are choices not contraindications.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    It will be interesting for sure. I didn't see any mention of exemptions for those with medical reasons not be be vaccinated. I can't imagine they could force staff in that category to be vaccinated OR to have their employment terminated. Perhaps they will get around it by mandating masks (to be worn always, not just at certain lock down levels).

I will be interested to see what happens at work as there is one staff member I know of who has made it very clear they will not be vaccinated (not for health reasons). Going to be very interesting to see how upper management handles it.
    If I recall correctly, at the 4pm press conference, Ashley Bloomfield mentioned there would be some exemptions for those with medical reasons but didn’t go into much detail.

Edit: here it is https://youtu.be/IibIYDX533o?t=2289
    Last edited by DonkeyKong; 11-10-2021 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Adding the YouTube link

Advanced Member

Extremely pleased to see govt mandated vaccination for health workers.

Many anti-vaxers who think they will qualify for a medical exemption to the Pfizer vaccine, in fact won't, was reading maybe 100 people in whole of NZ.

Heard of 1 Aucklander who's still refusing to get vaccinated assume their asthma will give them an exemption. Absurd!

The vaccine even safe for people having chemo, surgery, organ or bone marrow transplants, though with appropriate timing.

The only possible reason is an extremely unusal allergic reaction to 1 of the ingredients (PEG) which is common in most cosmetics and soaps, shampoos, skin creams etc, so they would be well aware of it.

Attached Herald article referencing almost no one in Australia medically exempt.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/cov...CAZACHN5HSAZY/
    Last edited by Blue Skies; 12-10-2021 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Extremely pleased to see govt mandated vaccination for health workers.

Many anti-vaxers who think they will qualify for a medical exemption to the Pfizer vaccine, in fact won't, was reading maybe 100 people in whole of NZ.

Heard of 1 Aucklander who's still refusing to get vaccinated assume their asthma will give them an exemption. Absurd!

The vaccine even safe for people having chemo, surgery, organ or bone marrow transplants, though with appropriate timing.

The only possible reason is an extremely unusal allergic reaction to 1 of the ingredients (PEG) which is common in most cosmetics and soaps, shampoos, skin creams etc, so they would be well aware of it.

Attached Herald article referencing almost no one in Australia medically exempt.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/cov...CAZACHN5HSAZY/
    I think myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) is one of the more serious side effects. But it's a 1 in 50000 chance and most that get it are fine and recover. But from what I understand is if you were to get this reaction you would have had the same thing happen if you caught the virus. It's just exposing a flaw in your body

You are correct. My daughters cardiologist (when checking with him before she had the vaccine, which she was all good to) said that in his professional opinion that any reaction to the vaccine would pale in comparison to what would happen from actually getting the virus, including longer term resulting effects.

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by Dlownz View Post
    I think myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) is one of the more serious side effects. But it's a 1 in 50000 chance and most that get it are fine and recover. But from what I understand is if you were to get this reaction you would have had the same thing happen if you caught the virus. It's just exposing a flaw in your body
    Doctors advise not to exercise or better rest for 2-6 hrs after the jab in UK to avoid this risk ...especially in young males

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    Doctors advise not to exercise or better rest for 2-6 hrs after the jab in UK to avoid this risk ...especially in young males
    A friend in Singapore said take it easy for a couple of days, I saw no harm in it and it seemed like common sense. Not like Russian roulette where one in six die

On a related subject, has covid made it into any retirement villages in Aus lately? Does anyone know?

I dont believe Covid is a large threat to the successful operation of OCA.

Me neither. Those living in OCA facilities know very well that they are being taken good care of, and that OCA is taking every precaution to keep them as safe as possible. Their families also know this. As do shareholders.

There is always a chance covid might get in, but there will be a comprehensive plan in place for how to manage that, which will kick in immediately, should a case be identified. I have much greater faith in the likes of OCA etc, to manage it efficiently, than I do in my own place of work.

As I have said before, these providers are essential. Nobody else can provide the services/care they are providing. Residents will stay because it is their home. The government will continue to pay subsidies, residents/families will continue to pay their fees, and units/care beds will continue to be sold. The elderly who are currently living in the community will see OCA (and others) as a safer and supported place to live, especially those who currently have no family for support.

I do think OCA and others will have to give thought to how to manage unvaccinated visitors, but I'm sure they are already working on that.

Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    I dont believe Covid is a large threat to the successful operation of OCA.