sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Leemsip View Post
    But your fully invested right?
    Or so you keep saying. Amazing how you seem to have funds available when a stock dips when you borrow multiples of your net worth and are always fully invested.

This is one of the trickiest things IMO. How to keep funding around in case of opportunities. Anyone care to share how they do this?
    Only invest 80%, oncall deposit earning subpar returns, sell stuff?
    When opportunity presents itself, be in a position to take advantage of it when you can.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Or so you keep saying. Amazing how you seem to have funds available when a stock dips when you borrow multiples of your net worth and are always fully invested.

But I don't really give a rats what you do, that's your business, as is my trading, is mine.
    But for some reason it riles you.
    Some deep seated flaw there you might want to analyze.
    More than fully invested correct, but not multiples of net worth as don't have that type of funding available.

Always have additional funds available however and can and do sell things when other opportunities become available. Not rocket science.

I just like calling out frauds, everyone else cottoned on.

Asleep at the Wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Leemsip View Post

This is one of the trickiest things IMO. How to keep funding around in case of opportunities. Anyone care to share how they do this?
    Only invest 80%, oncall deposit earning subpar returns, sell stuff?
    I am fully invested, except when something hits a stop loss.

So, when an opportunity arises, I evaluate it against the worst thing in my portfolio. if it is better than that I sell one to buy the other

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Relaxed View Post

So, when an opportunity arises, I evaluate it against the worst thing in my portfolio. if it is better than that I sell one to buy the other
    "using a stop loss has always struck me as like having a house that you like, and you’re living in, and it’s worth $100,000 and you tell your broker, ‘You know, if anybody ever comes along and offers $90, 000, you want to sell it."

Why sell something at a lower price that you could sell now?

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    More than fully invested correct, but not multiples of net worth as don't have that type of funding available.

Always have additional funds available however and can and do sell things when other opportunities become available. Not rocket science.

I just like calling out frauds, everyone else cottoned on.
    Back on ignore.
    Your antagonistic approach to posting on here is just so dated, predictable and down right childish.

But also at times comedic.
    Like the economy is on fire. 🤣
    I'm fully invested all the time, oh wait a minute did I say that? Oh only when it suits me. 🤣
    Who are you calling a fraud? 🤣

It would be interesting how many other have you on ignore due to your abusive antics & just lazy posts.
    Last edited by Daytr; 03-11-2023 at 01:38 PM.

Asleep at the Wheel?

"using a stop loss has always struck me as like having a house that you like, and you’re living in, and it’s worth $100,000 and you tell your broker, ‘You know, if anybody ever comes along and offers $90, 000, you want to sell it."

Why sell something at a lower price that you could sell now?
    Because I have a 10 year time horizon and a large drop is always a reason to reevaluate the investment.
    My stops are manual and not automatic so I always evaluate the reasons first.

If the reason I bought something has changed, it is often time to sell. If not, then maybe a good time to buy. BUT.........
    I am not generating investing free cash as I need that to eat. so If I want to buy, I have to sell the worst thing in my portfolio to do so.

Over time, on specific decisions, I have been wrong, right and neutral. I imagine that will continue

but overall, I have been right. My portfolio is worth more today that it was when I stopped working

Guru

Because I have a 10 year time horizon and a large drop is always a reason to reevaluate the investment.
    My stops are manual and not automatic so I always evaluate the reasons first.

If the reason I bought something has changed, it is often time to sell. If not, then maybe a good time to buy. BUT.........
    I am not generating investing free cash as I need that to eat. so If I want to buy, I have to sell the worst thing in my portfolio to do so.

Over time, on specific decisions, I have been wrong, right and neutral. I imagine that will continue

but overall, I have been right. My portfolio is worth more today that it was when I stopped working
    Makes sense, so they're more like warnings than stops.

Did you stop working at normal retirement age?

Best thing to ask is if your portfolio is worth more today than if you had invested it all in a sp500 index fund when you stopped working, otherwise not really meaningful. But harder to do if you're also drawing from it.

Asleep at the Wheel?

Did you stop working at normal retirement age?
    No. much much earlier

Best thing to ask is if your portfolio is worth more today than if you had invested it all in a sp500 index fund when you stopped working, otherwise not really meaningful. But harder to do if you're also drawing from it.
    This is correct. I track my portfolio returns on the basis of how much cash I would have to invest. This means that it is largely after tax (eg I only include net dividends when I am calculating my growth of the portfolio)
    my current 20 year average return is 16% before withdrawals.
    I withdraw less that that per year. and just like magic, the fund grows.

except for the years it goes down, or sideways. but overall, it grows.

Not dissimilar to a successful business except I don't work anywhere near as hard and obviously get a lower return than a well run successful business.

Guru

No. much much earlier

This is correct. I track my portfolio returns on the basis of how much cash I would have to invest. This means that it is largely after tax (eg I only include net dividends when I am calculating my growth of the portfolio)
    my current 20 year average return is 16% before withdrawals.
    I withdraw less that that per year. and just like magic, the fund grows.

except for the years it goes down, or sideways. but overall, it grows.

Not dissimilar to a successful business except I don't work anywhere near as hard and obviously get a lower return than a well run successful business.
    Only a small handful of people in the world have done 16% CAGR over 20 years, massive outperformance. Mainly offshore or nz based investments?

I was doing the same thing over the last 2 years. I parked my money in one strong balance sheet strong cash flow company after selling others. No need to get any outside funds. I can generate my funds from inside by selling underprerforming companies. I like multibagger companies.
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 03-11-2023 at 02:15 PM.