sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    While it's all too easy to throw egg on Hipkin's face, I think we must never count out the chance of Labour getting back in for another term. The members of Sharetrader here do NOT speak for the general consensus of NZ voters. When I walk out in public, go to school to meet the teachers and parents where my children attend, it's very clear that there's a VERY large supporter base for Labour. These supporters do not listen to the news or talk radio or essentially NZ politics. These people are those that live day to day without any concern of the details of gov't, and overall, support the bold actions that Labour has done (ie. agree on ethnic diversity and support co-governance, support a clean environment which is why the Green Party is so relevant today, etc). Anotherwords, they are under the belief that they've "always voted for Labour" and it's not so simple for these voters to change.

We must not be so complacent...
    As most on here know I have voted Labour in recent elections & this time around I think they are toast SBQ.

Yes there are a core of Left & Right voters but something like 400K of National voters last election voted Labour. I would suggest all & more of those voters have swung back right, perhaps a similar number have swung further right towards ACT.

A few people I know that would deem themselves as left leaning swing voters are talking about not voting at all, which is a shame, but it displays the malaise of NZ politics and the major parties lack of inspirational policy.
    Last edited by Daytr; 24-07-2023 at 10:09 AM.

Both of these statements are huge assumptions on your part. The assumption that anyone voting Labour this time round, is stupid, is far from correct. There will be people who take the "better the devil you know" approach, and there will be other people who will vote for Labour because they see that National has nothing/very little to offer. Not everyone is prepared to give National/Act their vote purely as an attempt to oust Labour.

As far as your comment "they've always voted Labour" goes - you've got that one well and truly back to front. Historically, National voters are the ones who were the greatest party loyalists, especially if they were farmers or business people. The last election resulted in a significant departure from that habitual voting behaviour, but I suspect we will not see that happen again any time soon.

Blind loyalty achieves nothing. National supporters are far more "blind" in that respect than any other party, other than perhaps the Greens.

(Don't even bother Balance. This is a general response to SBQ's comments - not a declaration of support for Labour, or any other party)

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    .... it's very clear that there's a VERY large supporter base for Labour. These supporters do not listen to the news or talk radio or essentially NZ politics. These people are those that live day to day without any concern of the details of gov't, and overall, support the bold actions that Labour has done (ie. agree on ethnic diversity and support co-governance, support a clean environment which is why the Green Party is so relevant today, etc). Anotherwords, they are under the belief that they've "always voted for Labour" and it's not so simple for these voters to change.

We must not be so complacent...
    Last edited by justakiwi; 24-07-2023 at 10:23 AM.

Guru

Unfortunately we have reached the stage in New Zealand where a mainstream political party and likely Labour coalition is running on a policy platform that basically boils down to ‘give NZ back to its rightful owners’, and no-one bats an eyelid. Does anyone remember the Green party of Jeanette Fitzsimmons and Rod Donald? It seems to be dead and buried in all but name. Apparently any ‘race relations’ issues are the fault of ACT and National - these 2 parties continue to be demonised by our media….yet the media are now giving Winston First ample coverage, as they want to see an ‘exciting election race and drama’. But what is NZ First saying? Let’s review:

——

‘Scrapping the Waitangi Tribunal and building a prison just for gang members are among some of the policy proposals New Zealand First members have voted in favour of.
    It comes as the spokeswoman of lobby group Hobson’s Pledge, Casey Costello, confirms she will run as NZ First’s candidate in the Port Waikato electorate.

"What is clear to me now is that three years of absence of New Zealand First [from Parliament] has seen enormous harm to race relations in this country," Costello said.
    "We cannot allow ourselves to be further divided and cannot allow Māori to continue to be used as sacrificial pawns in this political chess match."

——

NZ First would campaign on five key issues, Peters said. This would see the party take a stand against “racist separatism”, fight Australian-owned banks and the supermarket duopoly, invest in health and social services, as well as crime and eldercare.

The crowd cheered with Peters ruled out working with the “racist” Labour Party, after a question from Stuff.

“I made it very clear,” he said. Asked if he stood by his earlier call, to rule out Labour, Peters cussed Labour of racism and said “I don’t like racists”.

Legend

Bit sad when the Attention Seeking comes down to the incompetents taking turns falling
    on their swords for another Crisis .. how many is that down in 5.5 years ?

Slogan might have to adjusted - "No-one does it better than us - Your heroes skilled at falling in it"

Kamikaze Davis, Little or Tinetti next ?
    Last edited by nztx; 24-07-2023 at 12:26 PM.

Legend

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...lost-this-year

Kiri Allan is the fifth minister Labour's lost this year

The Government has lost another minister. Kiri Allan, who served in Cabinet as the minister of justice and regional development, resigned after being arrested on Sunday night.

Police charged Allan with careless use of a motor vehicle, and refusing to accompany a police officer. She also failed an alcohol breath test, and was issued an infringement notice, after being involved in a car crash on Sunday night. Nobody was injured, but it’s alleged Allan crashed into a parked car on Evans’ Bay Parade in Wellington.
    Welcome to Labour's Trainwreck Central .. limping off down the track shortly but unlikely to make it past the second bend
    Last edited by nztx; 24-07-2023 at 01:10 PM.

Guru

Wait for it….

‘Kiri has come from a background of significant deprivation. This is definitely not Kiri’s fault, rather: this is societies fault.’

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    Wait for it….

‘Kiri has come from a background of significant deprivation. This is definitely not Kiri’s fault, rather: this is societies fault.’

How about a blanket excuse ? .. all Labour's MP's have come from backgrounds of severe disadvantage & deprivation

probably explains the trainwreck sessions seen

Legend

G*ddamnit .. that new Ram Raid Legislation hasn't fixed the trail of sell inflicted Govt Front Bench Rammings

they just keep on coming .. and now the Justice centrepiece has just had her legs swept out from under her in another drunken ram raid
    Last edited by nztx; 24-07-2023 at 01:36 PM.

Guru

I think there's an increasing urban/rural split...

Ie Auckland central went fron nikki kaye to chloe swarbrick (blue to far-left green!).. cities had left wing mayors until recently although low turnout can deliver unpredictable results in local elections.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    I think there's an increasing urban/rural split...

Ie Auckland central went fron nikki kaye to chloe swarbrick (blue to far-left green!).. cities had left wing mayors until recently although low turnout can deliver unpredictable results in local elections.
    City folks would need to see more than a crime wave, rampant inflation, a cost-of-living crisis, musical chairs in cabinet, a justice minister charged with resisting arrest, a monumental borrowing rate and colossal waste before they’d dump their cherished Labour party.
    They still haven’t forgotten about the awful $26 million flag referendum which has destroyed this countries finances.
    Last edited by Logen Ninefingers; 24-07-2023 at 02:10 PM.