sharetrader

Thread: Black Monday

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    https://www.marketwatch.com/articles...=mw_latestnews

Found this article talking about a fund which has beaten S&P500 index on 5 years basis also !!
    Yeah good effort but 5 years is meaningless really. Not even half a cycle, even ARKK probably beat market over 5.

Think Buffetts famous bet they were ahead after 5.

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    Yeah it has been "terrible" over the short term for many. But it has some of the worlds best investors in it, so that alone gives it merit. The mere fact that I purchased an investment at probably close to 1/3rd the price Buffett paid for it just last year makes me feel comfortable with my investment in PARA.
    Wow down 90% from March '21 week highs. And 50% this year alone. I guess Buffet loves old movies because PARA's library (CBS, Showtime, Paramount Pictures) is very old. The real world value should be in future demographic and behaviour and Paramount Plus is not a service I would subscribe to. Paramount $931 debt service costs is haemophilic. PARA has some good realty which is possibly under valued, however, that said its Manhatten holdings doesn't mean as much post Covid. Its LA studio, like it's IP, is a shining beacon to what once was. I would be hoping some bottom fisher buys it. Good luck to holders and buyers

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    High risk because the share price has fallen so far??

If the share price had gone from $30 to $40 you'd think low risk.

But as gone from $30 to $11 it's high!

Arse about face.

Worth far more than current bid, the lower it goes the better.
    if the price went up it would be even more high risk to me.
    Im meaning high risk because of the industry they are in. highly competitive where in the med - long run not all players will survive.
    I did say i saw value that being there cashflows are very good and there library of content is good. but there debt is very high and there streaming service like many others in the space is not profitable.
    who knows why buffet brought do you have a guess what he is looking at ?
    Last edited by bull....; 10-11-2023 at 05:00 AM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Apparently weak 30-year Treasury auction is pushing yields higher and equity markets lower today
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Apparently weak 30-year Treasury auction is pushing yields higher and equity markets lower today
    That's a bond market problem causing trouble to equity valuations ....when all Govts have so much debt already then how they afford to pay higher interest costs when rates go sky high ...they need borrow more thus too much supply leads to bonds under pressure thus yields up ...VICIOUS Cycle . Maybe controlled 2-4% Inflation on longer term or accepting little higher inflation is the only way out of this debt spiral

Heard on CNBC that US treasury alone is issuing almost $ 500 Billion debt per week !!!!

percy

Alarm bells ringing for sure. Whenever does the FMA ever act on anything unless it is of a very serious nature.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    Wow down 90% from March '21 week highs. And 50% this year alone. I guess Buffet loves old movies because PARA's library (CBS, Showtime, Paramount Pictures) is very old. The real world value should be in future demographic and behaviour and Paramount Plus is not a service I would subscribe to. Paramount $931 debt service costs is haemophilic. PARA has some good realty which is possibly under valued, however, that said its Manhatten holdings doesn't mean as much post Covid. Its LA studio, like it's IP, is a shining beacon to what once was. I would be hoping some bottom fisher buys it. Good luck to holders and buyers
    Have Berkshire or Bloomstran contacted you? You'd be a great fit for their teams.

Don't ever rely on luck...

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    That's a bond market problem causing trouble to equity valuations ....when all Govts have so much debt already then how they afford to pay higher interest costs when rates go sky high ...they need borrow more thus too much supply leads to bonds under pressure thus yields up ...VICIOUS Cycle . Maybe controlled 2-4% Inflation on longer term or accepting little higher inflation is the only way out of this debt spiral

Heard on CNBC that US treasury alone is issuing almost $ 500 Billion debt per week !!!!
    When corporates and households were locking in almost 0% interest rates on debt Mnuchin ignored Trumps calls for locking in 50/100 year bonds. At the very least they could have done a book build to see what demand there was. I'm sure the US treasury is looking in the rear view mirror now.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Have Berkshire or Bloomstran contacted you? You'd be a great fit for their teams.

Don't ever rely on luck...
    haha, Buffet bids to have lunch with me mate