sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Meanwhile, the share price is up a couple of cents so far this morning. What a joke.

This neat little negotiation that has been done for the pilots...can the company back track on that later down the track, or do we just have to wait until they are completely driven into the ground? It's really hard to imagine how it is sustainable, and as a tax payer and a customer, I don't want to be paying for it. At least the fares should be high enough to attract some competition back in I guess...going by the ineptitude of management shown so far in this process, they probably haven't even considered the possibility of tough competition though, be that domestic or international.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    I'm happy for them to be paid well when its a decent old Nor Wester blowing in Wellington .
    What I don't understand 900 pilots left on the roster and maybe a dozen flights a day,this needed to be cut back more to make the airline viable. You are paying them to sit around and do nothing. How will they keep their hours up ?
    Could be that the company is looking out a little longer than just the dozen flights a day.
    Sack them now and it may be much harder to ramp up when they can.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Are they hoping for sympathetic treatment when the govt eventually buys them out?
    A little cuddle and a golden handshake...I bloody hope not. It will be a disgrace if they've tightly contracted in this arrangement only for the inevitable carry of the can by the tax payer.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Could be that the company is looking out a little longer than just the dozen flights a day.
    Sack them now and it may be much harder to ramp up when they can.
    dobby I don't think they will be a "little longer" if they don't get the costs right down ..... ( Firmly believe the Govt will end up owning 90 % + as we need a national airline )

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    I don’t understand why these positions are paid so much. Sure you need mentally stable and physically fit people but flying a modern jet cannot be that hard. ..
    It isn't that the job is hard to learn, but rather the cost of learning. My son is a captain flying for QANTAS internally, and currently stood down. He has now got his student loan down to $156,000 for learning to fly and getting all the relevant ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    dobby I don't think they will be a "little longer" if they don't get the costs right down ..... ( Firmly believe the Govt will end up owning 90 % + as we need a national airline )
    Have we considered the prospect of no Air NZ? We don't seem to need NZ owned banks...

"Learning to Fly" Couldn't resist ! We might as well have some fun with this. Enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVhNCTH8pDs
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclical View Post
    Have we considered the prospect of no Air NZ? We don't seem to need NZ owned banks...
    We have NZ owned banks - was thought to be a good idea.
    I can't imagine an overseas airline having NZ interests at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    We have NZ owned banks - was thought to be a good idea.
    Indeed. I'm with a "kiwi bank" and I think we all should be, but we don't need them do we.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    It isn't that the job is hard to learn, but rather the cost of learning. My son is a captain flying for QANTAS internally, and currently stood down. He has now got his student loan down to $156,000 for learning to fly and getting all the relevant ratings.
    Thanks for that. Those sort of costs will constrain pilot supply to some degree. Do you know on what basis they are paid bonuses?